Death of Lydia Schatz
Kevin and Elizabeth Schatz lived in Paradise, California. They claimed to follow the teachings about child discipline of the No Greater Joy Ministries, a Fundamentalist Christian organization headed by Michael Pearl and Debi Pearl. In 2007, they adopted Lydia along with two other children from Liberia. In the same year, Kevin Schatz also talked about his love for children in an interview with NBC 24 Action News regarding the adoption process.
On February 5, 2010, Lydia received forceful and numerous whippings with a quarter-inch plastic tubing. She was held down for nine hours by Elizabeth and beaten dozens of times by Kevin on the back of her body, causing massive tissue damage according to Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey. She was being disciplined for apparently mispronouncing a word. She died in the hospital on February 6, 2010. Her sister Zariah, 11 years old, was also beaten for "being a liar and a bad influence on the 7-year-old." Zariah was hospitalized in critical condition with severe injuries but she survived.
Kevin Schatz was found guilty of second degree murder and torture and will serve at least 22 years of imprisonment from two life sentences. Elizabeth Schatz was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter and infliction of unlawful corporal punishment and will serve at least 13 years of imprisonment.
- Adoption in the United States
- Child discipline
- Corporal punishment
- Corporal punishment in the home
- Domestic violence
- Kelli Saam (April 11, 2011). "Last Minute Plea Deal Averts Trial In Child Beating Death". KRCRTV. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Lynn Harris: "Godly discipline turned deadly - A controversial child "training" practice comes under fire -- this time from Christians themselves". Salon.com; Feb 22. 2010 
- Britt Carlson (April 1, 2011). "Schatz Murder Case Headed to Trial". KHSL. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Kevin Hayes (March 4, 2011). "Is Conservative Christian Group, No Greater Joy Ministries, Pushing Parents to Beat Kids to Death?". CBS News. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- "New Details About Couple Accused of Killing Adopted Daughter". NBC 24 Action News. February 25, 2010. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Edecio Martinez (February 22, 2010). "DA: Kevin and Elizabeth Schatz Killed Daughter With "Religious Whips" for Mispronouncing Word". CBS News. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Elizabeth de Alwis (February 25, 2010). "Beating death draws national attention". ChicoER News. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- "Obituary: Lydia Charity Schatz (2002 - 2010)". Paradise Post. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- "Parents get prison: The Schatzes get upper terms for child abuse". NewsReview.com. June 16, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2011.