DiGRA (Digital Games Research Association) is a non-profit, international association of academics and practitioners (Pracademics) whose work focuses on digital games and associated activities. DiGRA was formally established in 2003 and continues to operate as a non-profit registered in Finland. The first president of DiGRA was professor Frans Mäyrä who was followed by professor Tanya Krzywinska in 2006. DiGRA's president is currently professor Mia Consalvo.
DiGRA aims to coordinate activities related to academic research of games in different disciplines, in different parts of the world. For this purpose, several local chapters and special interest groups (SIGs) have been set up within DiGRA. Together with local organisers, DiGRA has so far produced six bi-annual conferences. DiGRA has also supported smaller regional conferences and, starting in 2014, DiGRA's conference will be run annually. The published papers from these conferences are collected and made available online in the DiGRA digital library.
DiGRA Main and Regional Conferences
- DiGRA 2003 - "Level Up", Nov 4-6, 2003, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Organizers/Chairs: Joost Raessens
- DiGRA 2005 - "Changing Views – Worlds in Play", Jun 16-20, 2005, Vancouver, Canada.
- Organizers/Chairs: Suzanne de Castell, Jennifer Jenson
- DiGRA 2007 - "Situated Play", Sep 24-28, 2007, Tokyo, Japan.
- Organizers/Chairs: Akira Baba
- DiGRA 2009 - "Breaking New Ground: Innovation in Games, Play, Practice and Theory", Sept 1-4, 2009, West London, UK
- Organizers/Chairs: Tanya Krzywinska, Helen Kennedy, Barry Atkins
- DiGRA Nordic 2010 - "Experiencing Games: Games, Play, and Players", Aug 16-17, Stockholm, Sweden
- Organizers/Chairs: Annika Waern, Petri Lankoski, Harko Verhagen
- DiGRA 2011 - "Think, Design, Play", Sep 14-17, 2011, Hilversum, The Netherlands
- Organizers/Chairs: Marinka Copier
- DiGRA Nordic 2012 - “Local and Global: Games in Culture and Society”,Jun 6-8, 2012, Tampere, Finland
- Organizers/Chairs: Raine Koskimaa, Jaakko Suominen, Frans Mäyrä
- DiGRA 2013 - "DeFragging Game Studies", Aug 26-29 2013 ,Atlanta, USA
- Organizers/Chairs: Celia Pearce, John Sharp, Helen Kennedy
- DiGRA Nordic 2014, May 29-30, Visby (Gotland), Sweden
- Organizers/Chairs: Ulf Benjaminsson, Petri Lankoski, Harko Verhagen
- DiGRA Australia 2014 - "What is Game Studies in Australia?", June 17, Melbourne, Australia.
- Organizers/Chairs: Marcus Carter, Laura Crawford, Martin Gibbs, Bjorn Nansen
- DiGRA 2014 - "<Active Noun> the <Verb> of game <Plural Noun>", August 3-6, 2014, Snowbird, Utah
- Organizers/Chairs: Roger Altizer, Jose Zagal, Annika Waern, Staffan Björk
Executive Board 2013-present
1. President: Mia Consalvo (Canada) 2. Vice-President: José P. Zagal (Chile) 3. Secretary: Thomas Rousse (Denmark) 4. Treasurer: Jussi Holopainen (Finland) 5. Media Liaison: Annika Waern (Sweden) 6. International Chapter Officer: Astrid Ensslin (UK) 7. Open Seat: Gerald Voorhees (US) 8. Open Seat: Hanna Wirman (Hong Kong, China) 9. Open Seat: Lindsay Grace (US) 10. Student Officer: Ashley Brown (UK) 11. Student Officer: Rachel Kowert (UK)
Executive Board 2012-2013
1. President: Mia Consalvo (Canada) 2. Vice-President: Esther MacCallum-Stewart (UK) 3. Secretary: Thomas Rousse (Denmark) 4. Treasurer: Jussi Holopainen (Finland) 5. Open Seat: Annika Waern (Sweden) 6. Open Seat: Gerald Voorhees (US) 7. Open Seat: José P. Zagal (Chile) 8. International Chapter Officer: Astrid Ensslin (UK) 9. Student Officer: Ashley Brown (UK) 10. Student Officer: Rachel Kowert (UK) 11. Board-appointed officers: Webmaster: Petri Lankoski (Finland)
Executive Board 2010-2012
1. President: Helen Kennedy (UK) 2. Vice-President: Esther MacCallum-Stewart (US) 3. Treasurer: Jussi Holopainen (Finland) 4. Board Secretary: Bob Appelman (US – Indiana) 5. Gordon Calleja (Denmark) 6. Annika Waern (Sweden) 7. Open Seat: Patrick Crogan (Australia) 8. Open Seat: Marinka Copier (Netherlands) 9. Open Seat: Dan Pinchbeck (UK) 10. Open Seat: Torill Mortensen (Norway) 11. Open Seat: José P. Zagal (Chile) 12. Open Seat: Jesper Juul (Denmark) 13. Open Seat: Bart Simon (Canada)
Executive Board 2007-2009
1. President: Tanya Krzywinska (UK) 2. Vice-President: Douglas Thomas (US) 3. Treasurer: Jussi Holopainen (Finland) 4. Board Secretary: Bob Appelman (US – Indiana) 5. Liaison Officer: Helen Kennedy (UK) 6. Dissemination Officer: Tony Manninen (Finland) 7. Open Seat: Patrick Crogan (Australia) 8. Open Seat: Marinka Copier (Netherlands) 9. Open Seat: Esther Macallum-Stewart (UK) 10. Open Seat: Torill Mortensen (Norway) 11. Open Seat: José P. Zagal (Chile) 12. Open Seat: Veronica Zammitto (Argentina) 13. Open Seat: Akira Baba (Japan)
|This article about an international organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|