15 March 1975 |
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Genres||Minimalism, Classical, Contemporary classical, Ambient|
|Labels||Quartz Records, NMC Recordings|
|Associated acts||Decibel, Paul Dunmall, Brian Irvine, Michael Finnissy|
|Electric Bass, Keyboard|
Having studied under Ireland's Brian Irvine and Michael Finnissy Bennett states that "Striving for perfection leads me to boredom. I like to be surprised by music, staying on the outside of things and occasionally dipping in and taking what I need to try to create something new." In 2007 he was a finalist in the British Composer Awards. He has had works performed by RTE, BBC, Moving on Music, 2012 Olympics, PRSF, Music Network, Integra[disambiguation needed] and the arts councils of England, Ireland and N.Ireland. Listed among the collaborators and performers of his work are RTE National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland, Ulster Orchestra, BBC Symphony Orchestra, BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, National Orchestra of Belgium, London Sinfonietta, Concorde, Fidelio Trio, Berlin Percussion Ensemble, Smith Quartet, Crash Ensemble, Orkest de ereprijs, Ensemble SurPlus, Lontano, Noszferatu, Ensemble Ars Nova, Garth Knox, Pedro Carneiro, Reinbert de Leeuw, James MacMillan, Darragh Morgan, Mary Dullea, Rolf Hind, Paul Dunmall and Heiner Goebbels. He also performs with and directs his own ensemble, Decibel. In 2012 he was awarded the Philip Leverhulme Prize for the Performing Arts.
- Bennett's work has been commissioned and performed internationally by many different artists, organisations and ensembles including the PRSF, BBC, RTE, Moving on Music, Music Network and the arts councils of Ireland, Northern Ireland and England.
- Noted performers of Bennett's work include the BBC Symphony and Philharmonic Orchestras, the National Orchestra of Belgium, the London Sinfonietta, RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland, Ulster Orchestra
- Bennett has also been performed by Crash Ensemble, Ars Nova Ensemble (Sweden), Orkest de ereprijs, Sound Intermedia, Ensemble SurPlus, Reinbert de Leeuw, James MacMillan, Arturo Tamayo, Ulrich Mertin, Fidelio Trio, Lontano, Concorde, the Smith Quartet, Berlin Percussion Ensemble, Paul Roe, Darragh Morgan, Damien Harron, Roman Mints and Sarah Nicolls.
- Bennett performs with and directs his own ensemble, decibel, with Janet K. Halfyard.
- Currently at Birmingham Conservatoire where he is the recipient of a research fellowship and active as a teacher in the composition department.
- Worked with Heiner Goebbels during his residency in Birmingham Conservatoire 
- Was commissioned to write a piece for NI Opera Shorts which was performed in Belfast and in London as part of the Olympics Festival. Was credited in Irish Times as being a memorable highlight and was mentioned in The Guardian for its playfulness.
In 2012 Bennett was awarded the [Philip Leverhulme Prize] for the [Performing Arts].
- Dzama Stories - Music influenced by artist Marcel Dzama, Quartz
- My Broken Machines - NMC Recordings
- Contemporary Music from Ireland, Volume 10 - A appearance on the best of Irish composers' of Northern Ireland
- Between - Diatribe Recordings
- Music From Northern Ireland - Lontano Records
- "Ed Bennett on the Contemporary Music Centre, Ireland".
- Halfyard, Janet K. (2007). Berio's Sequenzas: essays on performance, composition and analysis. Ashgate Publishing. p. xv. ISBN 9780754654452. Retrieved 29 May 2010.
- "Decibel and Heiner Goebbels Residency in Birmingham." Irish Times. 15 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "NI Opera Shorts." Irish Times. 3 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "NI Opera Shorts – review." The Guardian. 8 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-16.