Caminito del Rey
|El Caminito del Rey|
|Location||Álora, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain|
El Caminito del Rey (English: The King's little pathway) is a walkway, pinned along the steep walls of a narrow gorge in El Chorro, near Álora in the province of Málaga, Spain. The name is often shortened to Camino del Rey (English: King's pathway). The walkway had fallen into disrepair and was partially closed for over a decade. After extensive repairs and renovations in 2011-14, the walkway was reopened in September 2014.
The walkway was built to provide workers at the hydroelectric power plants at Chorro Falls and Gaitanejo Falls with means to cross between them, to provide for transport of materials, and to facilitate inspection and maintenance of the channel. Construction began in 1901 and was finished in 1905.
The walkway is 1 metre (3.3 ft) in width, and rises over 100 metres (330 ft) above the river below. Constructed of concrete, resting on steel rails supported by stanchions at around 45 degrees into the rock face, it is currently in a highly deteriorated state and there are numerous sections where part or all of the concrete top has collapsed. The result is large open air gaps that are bridged only by narrow steel beams or other support fixtures. Very few of the original handrails exist but a safety-wire runs the length of the path. Several people have lost their lives on the walkway in recent times and, after two fatal accidents in 1999 and 2000, the local government closed both entrances.
In June 2011 the regional government of Andalusia and the local government of Málaga agreed to share costs of restoration (including car parking and a museum) of €9 million. The project will take approximately three years to complete. Many of the original features will remain in place and the new materials that are used will be in keeping with the old design.
In March 2014, the cornerstone of the rehabilitation project was laid by specialized alpinists. As of November 2013 the walkway has not opened. It is scheduled to open in February of 2015 and it is hoped that the king of Spain and in the footsteps of his great grandfather Alfonso XIII will inaugurate after work is completed.
- Bryant, Sue (2007). google.com/books Costa Del Sol. New Holland Publishers. p. 38. ISBN 978-1-84537-636-9. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- https://www.euroweeklynews.com/ Euroweekly News Archive accessed 16-03-14
- diariosur.es "La Junta pagará la mitad de la rehabilitación del Caminito del Rey" (in Spanish). Diario Sur. June 17, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- diariosur.es "El Caminito del Rey recuperará su aspecto original tras las obras de rehabilitación" (in Spanish). Diario Sur. December 15, 2010. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- Arrancan las obras del Caminito del Rey Laopiniondemalaga.es, 13 March 2014 (Spanish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Caminito del Rey.|
- Tourist Information for the El Chorro, Camino del Rey and Gudalhorce reservoirs in English
- Caminito del Rey travel information
- Video of Caminito del Rey 2013
- 3D Virtual Tour, 20/03/2011
- Traversing the legendary Camino del Rey
- , Latest news on Caminito del Rey restoration.