Eric Smith (American football)
|Date of birth:March 17, 1983|
|Place of birth: Columbus, Ohio|
|High school: Groveport (OH) Madison|
|College: Michigan State|
|NFL Draft: 2006 / Round: 3 / Pick: 97|
|Debuted in 2006 for the New York Jets|
|Last played in 2012 for the New York Jets|
Career NFL statistics as of 2012
Eric Smith (born March 17, 1983) is a retired American football safety who is currently a seasonal intern coach for the New York Jets. He was drafted by the Jets in the third round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played college football at Michigan State.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 1 in||209 lb||4.63 s||1.61 s||2.70 s||4.11 s||6.91 s||40 in||10 ft 7 in||21 reps|
New York Jets
Smith was selected 97th overall in the 2006 NFL Draft. Smith had been rising on many draft boards in the weeks leading up to the draft as he was praised for his instincts and physicality on the field. The Jets signed Smith to a contract on July 21, 2006.
In 15 games, Smith recorded 40 tackles and 5 passes defensed.
Smith finished the season with 32 tackles, 4 passes defensed and an interception.
Smith was primarily utilized as a back up defender and on special teams. In 16 games, he recorded a career high 48 tackles, 6 pass defensed and an interception.
In the team's week two matchup against the New England Patriots, Smith delivered a hit to wide receiver Wes Welker and was flagged for hitting a defenseless receiver. Smith apologized to Welker during the game, which Welker accepted, and was later fined $7,500 by the league.
Smith re-signed with Jets on July 30, 2011 to a three-year deal worth $7.5 million.
Smith suffered a medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury on his left knee during the August 10 preseason loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. An MRI came back negative. Smith was eventually knocked out for the entire 2012 season. He was released from the Jets on February 19, 2013.
New York Jets
Smith was hired by the Jets on February 10, 2014 as a seasonal intern.
- "2006 SS Draft Prospects", CBSSports.com (CBS Sports), 2006, archived from the original on November 6, 2010, retrieved November 6, 2010
- Borges, Ron (May 1, 2006), "Jets Couldn't Ask For More With Great Draft", NBCSports.com (NBC Sports), archived from the original on November 4, 2010, retrieved November 4, 2010
- "2006 NFL Draft - Eric Smith", SI.com (Sports Illustrated), 2006, archived from the original on November 4, 2010, retrieved November 4, 2010
- Jets Staff (July 21, 2006), "Jets Sign S Eric Smith", NewYorkJets.com (New York Jets), archived from the original on November 4, 2010, retrieved November 4, 2010
- Bishop, Greg (2008-09-29). "Two Jets Stars Make a Connection". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- Gallo, Nick (June 10, 2010), "Eric Smith's Become a D-Back of All Trades", NewYorkJets.com (New York Jets), archived from the original on November 4, 2010, retrieved November 4, 2010
- Reiss, Mike (September 24, 2010), "Eric Smith fined for Wes Welker hit", ESPNBoston.com (ESPN), archived from the original on November 4, 2010, retrieved November 4, 2010
- Rapoport, Ian R. (September 21, 2010), "Patriots WR Wes Welker claims he’s just fine with Eric Smith after illegal hit by Jet defender", BostonHerald.com/Sports (Boston Herald), archived from the original on November 4, 2010, retrieved November 4, 2010
- Mehta, Manish (July 30, 2011). "Jets sign Eric Smith to a three-year deal". New York Daily News (Mortimer Zuckerman). Archived from the original on July 30, 2011. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- "Eric Smith To Miss Rest Of Jets’ Preseason". CBS News New York. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Lange, Randy (19 February 2013). "Five Are Gone, but ‘They’ll Always Be Jets’". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 19 February 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- Frankel, Charlie (February 10, 2014). "Tony Sparano Jr. Promoted, Eric Smith Joins Staff". New York Jets. Archived from the original on February 11, 2014. Retrieved February 11, 2014.