Park in 2005
|Revised Romanization||Bak Gilseong|
Gil-Sung Park (born 9 May 1957) is Professor of Sociology and was a former Dean of College of Liberal Arts at Korea University. He also serves on the board of directors of the National Research Council for Economics, Humanities, and Social Sciences in Korea and was a Vice President of the Korean Sociological Association.
Park was born in Myungju, Gangwon-do, South Korea. He obtained his B.A. and M.A. degrees from Korea University, followed by a Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 1988. Professor Park does research and teaching on a variety of issues in economic sociology, information sociology, comparative sociology, developmental sociology, and sociology of world society. He has been a member of the Presidential Advisory Committee of Aging and Future Society, and President of the Korean Comparative Sociological Association. He was also a visiting scholar at the Center for International Affairs, Harvard University, and was a visiting professor at Washington University in St. Louis. Professor Park was a former Director of the Institute of Social Research at Korea University and an adjunct professor at the Utah State University.[dead link]
Park serves on the editorial board of several scholarly journals including Global Policy and International Journal of Comparative Sociology. He also guest edited a special issue of the latter journal. Park was previously Editor-in-Chief of the Korean Journal of Sociology, a flagship journal of the Korean Sociological Association.
- Park, Gil-Sung, Yong Suk Jang, and Hang-Young Lee (2007) "Global and Local Interplay: Korea’s Globalization Revisited." International Journal of Comparative Sociology 48(4): 337-353.
- Park, Gil-Sung and Tackmeon Lee (2007) Understanding Theories in Economic Sociology. Seoul: Namam Publishing House.
- Park, Gil-Sung (2003) Restructuring of Korean Society: Forced Adjustments and Contentious Coordinations. Seoul: Korea University Press.
- Korea University's Entry on Gil-Sung Park
- Global Policy: Editorial board
- International Journal of Comparative Sociology - Editorial Board
- (2007) International Journal of Comparative Sociology Vol 48(4): 259–260 doi:10.1177/0020715207079528
- Official website[dead link]
- Gil-Sung Park's Sociology Department entry (English)
- Institute of Social Research, Korea University