Hair (Hair song)
|Song from the album Hair|
|Recorded||May 6, 1968|
|Genre||Rock, pop rock|
|Writer||James Rado, Gerome Ragni|
|Producer||Brian Drutman, Denis McNamara, Norrie Paramor, Andy Wiswell|
|Hair track listing|
|Single by The Cowsills|
|B-side||"What Is Happy?"|
Context in the musical
The musical’s title song begins as character Woof slowly croons his reason for his long hair, as tribe-mate Berger joins in singing they deem they “don’t know.” They lead the tribe, singing “Give me a head with hair,” “as long as God can grow it,” listing what they want in a head of hair and their uses for it. Later the song takes the tune of “The Star-Spangled Banner” with the tribe punning “Oh say can you see/ My eyes if you can/Then my hair’s too short!” Woof and Berger’s religious references continue with many a “Hallelujah” as they consciously compare their hair to Jesus’s, and if Mary loved her son, “why don’t my mother love me?” The song shows the Tribe's enthusiasm and pride for their hair as well as comparing Woof to a Jesus figure.
The song was a major hit single for The Cowsills in 1969 and their most successful single. Their version spent two weeks at #1 on the Cash Box Top 100 and reached #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. It also reached #1 on the RPM Canadian Singles Chart.
Appearances in media
- On The Simpsons episode, "Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious", the song is played in the background as Marge's hair starts to fall out from stress.
- On The Simpsons episode, "D'oh-in' in the Wind", the song is played in the hippies' car as Homer wears a jester hat.
- In 2009, the song was used in a mash-up with Beyoncé's "Crazy in Love" in the Glee episode 11, "Hairography".
- The title song as well as another song from the musical "Good Morning Starshine" were featured in "Mystery Science Theater 3000" in the Season 5, 8th episode "Hercules Unchained".
- In My Wife and Kids episode, "The Sweet Hairafter", Michael Kyle (Damon Wayans), sings the song playing his keyboard, while his hair supplement grows in.
- Joel Whitburn, The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (6th ed. 1996), p. 148.
- Hair lyrics
- Hair Archives
- Cashbox Magazine Archive
- Billboard - Hair
- Canadian Singles Chart - May 12, 1969
- [Australian Chart Book 1970-1992]
- Elio Gandolfi - Discography
- "Nederlandse Top 40 - week 1, 1969" (in Dutch). Retrieved March 13, 2010.
- Simpsons Season 8 Episode 13 Soundtrack
- Simpsons Season 10 Episode 6 Soundtrack
- Hercules Unchained
"Eloise" by Barry Ryan[note 1](Dutch)
|Dutch Top 40 number-one single
January 4, 1969
"Ain't Got No, I Got Life" by Nina Simone[note 2] (Dutch)
"You've Made Me So Very Happy" by Blood, Sweat & Tears
|RPM Canadian Singles Chart number-one single
(The Cowsills version)
May 12, 1969
"Get Back" by The Beatles