Hugh Montgomery (mathematician)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Hugh Lowell Montgomery|
Hugh Montgomery in 2008
|Born||26 August 1944
|Institutions||University of Michigan|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Doctoral advisor||Harold Davenport|
|Doctoral students||Brian Conrey|
|Known for||Analytic number theory|
|Notable awards||Adams Prize (1972)
Salem Prize (1974)
Hugh Lowell Montgomery (born 26 August 1944) is an American mathematician, working in the fields of analytic number theory and mathematical analysis. As a Marshall scholar, Montgomery earned his Ph.D. from the University of Cambridge. For many years, Montgomery has been teaching at the University of Michigan.
He is best known for Montgomery's pair correlation conjecture, his development of the large sieve methods and for co-authoring (with Ivan M. Niven and Herbert Zuckerman) one of the standard introductory number theory texts, An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers, now in its fifth edition (ISBN 0471625469).
- Beauzamy, Bernard; Bombieri, Enrico; Enflo, Per; Montgomery, Hugh L. (1990). "Products of polynomials in many variables". Journal of Number Theory 36 (2): 219–245. doi:10.1016/0022-314X(90)90075-3. MR 1072467
- Davenport, Harold. Multiplicative number theory. Third edition. Revised and with a preface by Hugh L. Montgomery. Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 74. Springer-Verlag, New York, 2000. xiv+177 pp. ISBN 0-387-95097-4.
- Levinson, Norman; Montgomery, Hugh L. "Zeros of the derivatives of the Riemann zeta function". Acta Math. 133 (1974), 49—65.
- Montgomery, Hugh L. Topics in multiplicative number theory. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 227. Springer-Verlag, Berlin-New York, 1971. ix+178 pp.
- Montgomery, Hugh L. Ten lectures on the interface between analytic number theory and harmonic analysis. CBMS Regional Conference Series in Mathematics, 84. Published for the Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences, Washington, DC; by the American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1994. xiv+220 pp. ISBN 0-8218-0737-4.
- Montgomery, H. L.; Vaughan, R. C. The large sieve. Mathematika 20 (1973), 119—134.
- Montgomery, Hugh L., and Vaughan, Robert C. Multiplicative number theory. I. Classical theory. Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics, 97. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2007. xviii+552 pp. ISBN 978-0-521-84903-6; 0-521-84903-9.
- Niven, Ivan; Zuckerman, Herbert S.; Montgomery, Hugh L. An introduction to the theory of numbers. Fifth edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1991. xiv+529 pp. ISBN 0-471-62546-9
- Hugh Montgomery (mathematician) at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-02-10.
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|