International Software Testing Qualifications Board
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)|
The International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB) is a software testing qualification certification organisation that operates internationally. Founded in Edinburgh in November 2002, ISTQB is a non-profit association legally registered in Belgium.
ISTQB® Certified Tester is a standardized qualification for software testers and the certification is offered by the ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board). The qualifications are based on a syllabus, and there is a hierarchy of qualifications and guidelines for accreditation and examination. The ISTQB® is a software testing qualification certification organisation having over 200 000 certifications issued; the ISTQB® consists of 47 member boards worldwide representing more than 71 countries (date: March 2012).
Currently ISTQB® provides 4 levels of certification:
- ISTQB Foundation Level (CTFL)
- ISTQB Advanced Level (CTAL)
- Test Manager
- Test Analyst
- Technical Test Analyst
- Advanced Level (CTAL) - Full Advanced Level (after passing the above exams of Advanced Level)
- Expert Level
- Improving the Test Process
- Test Management
- Test Automation (planned to be deployed in 2012)
- Security Testing (planned to be deployed in 2012)
Content of the exams
The exam for the Foundation Level has a theoretical nature and requires knowledge of software development - especially in the field of software testing.
The different Advanced Level exams are more practical and require deeper knowledge in special areas. Test Manager deals with planning and control of the test process. Functional Tester concerns, amongst other things, reviews and Black box testing methods. Technical Tester includes component tests (also called unit test), requiring knowledge of White box testing and non-functional testing methods - this section also includes test tools. The Expert Level is still in preparation..
The Foundation Level exam has no pre-requisites. To take the Advanced Level exam, candidates need to pass the Foundation Level exam first and must prove professional experience (for example - the USA requirement is 60 months, India 24 months and Germany 18 months).
Certification is valid for life (Foundation Level and Advanced Level) and there is no requirement for recertification.
Testing boards are responsible for the quality and the auditing of the examination. Worldwide there are testing boards in 47 countries (date: October 2010). In USA the corresponding organisation is the ASTQB (American Software Testing Qualifications Board), in Britain the Information Systems Examination Board (ISEB) is the local board, and in India it is the Indian Testing Board (ITB).
Other Certifying Organizations
- ISEB - Information Systems Examination Board(BCS The Chartered institute of IT)
- QAI - Quality Assurance Institute, offers similar certification, in more than 40 countries.
- CQI - Chartered Quality Institute (formerly known as IQA - Institute of QualityAssurance)
- Thomas Müller (chair), Rex Black, Sigrid Eldh, Dorothy Graham, Klaus Olsen, Maaret Pyhäjärvi, Geoff Thompson and Erik van Veendendaal (2007) Certified Tester - Foundation Level Syllabus - Version 2007, International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB), Möhrendorf, Germany
- Andreas Spillner, Tilo Linz, Hans Schäfer (2006) Software Testing Foundations - A Study Guide for the Certified Tester Exam - Foundation Level - ISTQB compliant, 1st print. dpunkt.verlag GmbH, Heidelberg, Germany. ISBN 3-89864-363-8
- Andreas Spillner, Tilo Linz (2005) Basiswissen Softwaretest - Basiswissen Softwaretest: Aus- und Weiterbildung zum Certified Tester: Foundation Level nach ISTQB-Standard, 3rd extended and updated run, dpunkt.verlag GmbH, Heidelberg, Germany. ISBN 3-89864-358-1
- Brian Hambling (ed.) Peter Morgan, Geoff Thompson, Angelina Samaroo, Peter Williams (2006) Software Testing: An ISEB Foundation, British Computer Society, ISBN 978-1-902505-79-4
- Dorothy Graham, Erik van Veenendaal, Isabel Evans, and Rex Black. (2008). Foundations of Software Testing, Cengage, USA, ISBN 1-84480-989-7, ISBN 978-1-84480-989-9
- German Testing Board e.V. (2003) Software Testing - Advanced Level Syllabus - ISTQB-Certified-Tester, Advanced Level, Version 1.2(E). European Organization for Quality - Software Group, Erlangen, Germany
- Erik van Veenendaal (ed. and author) (2005) The Testing Practitioner, 3rd run, UTN Publishers, CN Den Bosch, the Netherlands, ISBN 90-72194-65-9
- Andreas Spillner, Tilo Linz, Thomas Roßner, Mario Winter (2006) Praxiswissen Softwaretest - Testmanagement: Aus- und Weiterbildung zum Certified Tester: Advanced Level nach ISTQB-Standard, 1st run, dpunkt.verlag GmbH, Heidelberg, Germany, ISBN 3-89864-275-5
- Graham Bath / Judy McKay (2008) The Software Test Engineer’s Handbook - A Study Guide for the ISTQB Test Analyst and Technical Test Analyst Advanced Level Certificates, Rocky Nook, USA; ISBN 978-1-933952-24-6
- Andreas Spillner / Tilo Linz / Thomas Rossner / Mario Winter (2007) Software Testing Practice: Test Management, A Study Guide for the Certified Tester Exam ISTQB Advanced Level, Rocky Nook, USA, ISBN ISBN 978-1-933952-13-0
- Patrick Hendrickx, Chris Van Bael and Alain Bultink (2010), Advanced Test Management Based on the ISTQB® Syllabus, Ps_Testware, Belgium, ISBN 978-9090257273
- Andreas Spillner, Tilo Linz, Hans Schäfer (2007) Software Testing Foundations, 2nd Edition: A Study Guide for the Certified Tester Exam (Foundation Level – ISTQB compliant), Rocky Nook Inc, Santa Barbara, California, USA; ISBN 978-1-933952-08-6
- "Emerging trends in IT-Software testing". The Hindu. 16 April 2008. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Hambling, Brian (ed.) (2010) Software Testing: An ISTQB-ISEB Foundation Guide, British Computer Society, ISBN 978-1-906124-76-2, p. 1
- Prasad, Dr. K.V.K.K. (2008) ISTQB Certification Study Guide, Wiley, ISBN 978-81-7722-711-6, p. vi
- ISTQB - Member boards in other countries
- Certified Tester - Foundation Level Syllabus International Software Testing Qualifications Board; PDF; 1.1 MB
- Certified Tester - Advanced Level International Software Testing Qualifications Board