John Lyons (American football)
Defensive backs coach
March 10, 1952 |
West Hartford, Connecticut
|Alma mater||University of Pennsylvania|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
Boston University (DC)
Cologne Centurions (DB)
Cologne Centurions (DC/DB)
Cologne Centurions (interim HC)
New Hampshire (DC/DB)
|Head coaching record|
0–1 (NFL Europe)
College Football Data Warehouse
|Accomplishments and honors|
2 Ivy (1992, 1996)
John Lyons (born March 10, 1952) is an American football head coach best known for his 13 years as head coach of Dartmouth College. He is currently the defensive coordinator at the University of New Hampshire.
Lyons was an all-Ivy defensive back while playing for the University of Pennsylvania. After graduating in 1974 he worked as an assistant at Penn for the next 11 seasons, eventually riding up to become defensive coordinator. In 1988 he was brought to Dartmouth by then-coach Buddy Teevens. When Teevens moved on, Lyons was promoted to head coach in 1992.
During his time as head coach, Lyons was successful during his first six seasons, winning two Ivy League titles and posting five winning seasons. He also coached future NFL quarterback Jay Fiedler. However, the program tailed off after 1997 and the school would finish in last place four times in the next seven years. His later years saw increasing criticism from fans and the local media as his decision-making was called into question. He was dismissed by the school after the 2004 season.
After being fired by Dartmouth he coached in NFL Europe for the Cologne Centurions. He held the position from 2005 to 2007 and concurrently coached at Kimball Union Academy; he also was the school's athletic director, starting in 2008, and stayed in both jobs through 2010. In January 2011, he joined the University of New Hampshire's football program as its defensive coordinator.
Head coaching record
|Dartmouth Big Green (Ivy League) (1992–2004)|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
- "Football Coaches Career" (search for Lyons under Player/Coach Search). National Collegiate Athletic Association. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- Burrick, David (2004-12-01). "Lyons dismissed as Dartmouth football coach". The Daily Pennsylvanian. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- "Dartmouth's Winning Tradition". Dartmouth College. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- ESPN College Football Encyclopedia: The Complete History of the Game. ESPN Books. 2005. p. 1067. ISBN 1-4013-3703-1.
- 2010 Ivy League Football Media Guide (PDF). Ivy League. 2010. pp. 29–33. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- Krishnamurthy, Anand (2004-12-02). "Lyons Out as Dartmouth Football Coach". Columbia Spectator. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- "Worst school record seals Lyons' fate". ESPN. Associated Press. 2004-11-30. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- Zhe, Mike (2011-04-07). "With Lyons running defense, UNH is well-coordinated". The Portsmouth Herald. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "Former Dartmouth Head Football Coach John Lyons Named UNH Defensive Coordinator" (Press release). University of New Hampshire. 2011-01-21. Retrieved 2011-02-03.