Jordan Valley (UTA station)
|Utah Transit Authority (UTA)
TRAX light rail station
|Location||3400 West 8600 South
West Jordan, Utah
Utah Transit Authority (UTA):
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections||UTA intra-county and local bus|
|Opened||August 7, 2011|
Jordan Valley is a light rail station in West Jordan, Utah, served by the Red Line of the Utah Transit Authority's (UTA) TRAX light rail system. The Red Line provides service from the University of Utah to the Daybreak Community of South Jordan.
The station is located at 3400 West 8600 South but, although the station is situated immediately south of 8600 South, there is not direct vehicle access to the station's parking from that street, only by way of 3200 West. Also, while it is the closest TRAX station to Bangerter Highway (SR-154), there is no direct access to the station from Bangerter Highway either. The station can be reached from Bangerter Highway by heading east on 9000 South, then north on 3200 West, and finally west on 8660 South. The station is just northeast of the Jordan Valley Medical Center. In the original planning stages, the station was referred to as "Bangerter Station", but later changed to the current name. The station opened August 7, 2011, as part of the Red Line (Mid-Jordan) and is operated by the Utah Transit Authority.
Original plans for the station included a large Park and Ride lot with 577 free (UTA exclusive) parking spaces. However, two parking garages have been built at the station and provide 845 spaces.[Note 1] The fee for parking in either of the garage is $1 per day or $15 per month, however, payment is only required for parking from 6 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday, except holidays. Jordan Valley is the only TRAX station with a parking garage. Since their construction, the parking garages have had very little use; as low as 3 percent, according to UTA. The only other parking garage operated by UTA is located at the Draper FrontRunner Station and it has the same parking fees.
All of UTA's TRAX and FrontRunner trains and stations, streetcars and streetcar stops, and all fixed route buses are compliant with Americans with Disabilities Act and are therefore accessible to those with disabilities. Signage at the stations, on the passenger platforms, and on the trains clearly indicate accessibility options. In accordance with the Utah Clean Air Act and UTA ordinance, "smoking is prohibited on UTA vehicles as well as UTA bus stops, TRAX stations, and FrontRunner stations".
On weekdays the first northbound Red Line train (to the University Medical Center Station) leaves the Jordan Valley Station at about 5:00 am and the first southbound train (to the Daybreak Parkway Station) leaves at about 5:15 am. The last southbound train leaves at 11:48 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 11:29 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last southbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 10:29 pm.
On Saturdays the first southbound train leaves at about 5:45 am and the first northbound train leaves at about 6:15 am. The last southbound train leaves at 11:07 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 11:39 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last northbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 10:39 pm.
On Sundays the first southbound train leaves at about 9:45 am and the first northbound train leaves at about 10:15 am. The last southbound train leaves at 7:47 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 8:19 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last northbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 7:19 pm.
- UTA Route 232 - 3200 West (West Jordan, including Salt Lake Community College's Jordan Campus - West Valley City, including West Valley Central Station [via 3200 West])
- UTA Route 240 - 4000 West/Dixie Valley (West Jordan, including Jordan Landing and Jordan Valley Medical Center - Kearns - West Valley City, including West Valley Central Station and Valley Fair Mall [via 4000 West])
- UTA Route F590 - 9000 South Flex (West Jordan, including Salt Lake Community College's Jordan Campus - Sandy, including Historic Sandy Station [via 9000 South])
- On 1 July 2013 UTA announced that beginning immediately it was starting a one year pilot program involving most of its TRAX and FrontRunner Park and Ride lots. The purpose of the new program is to make rider connections with the Salt Lake City International Airport more convenient by avoiding the need to park at the airport. The program allows UTA patrons to park for an "unlimited amount of time" in the designated Park and Ride lots. In addition, UTA will allow free parking in all of its parking garages. Previous UTA policy limited parking to no more than 24 hours, except at its parking garages. As part of the year-long pilot program, "UTA will measure parking lot usage and monitor costs, maintenance requirements, impacts to snow removal and security issues before determining if the program will be extended." There are eight Park and Ride lots that are excluded from this test program and the 24-hour time limit will still apply to these lots. Jordan Valley Station's parking garages are specifically included in this test program. Accordingly, the parking fees have been temporarily suspended. Notwithstanding permission to park for extended periods in the applicable Park and Ride Lots, updated signage at the stations advises that the UTA Transit Police request that they be notified anytime a car is parked in one of the lots for more than seven days.
On 3 July 2014 UTA announced that it had extended the free parking pilot program for another year, but was removing two stations from the program.
- Train schedules are current as of Change Day, 17 August 2014
- Bus routes are current as of Change Day, 17 August 2014
- "TRAX Parking and Stops". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 4 Apr 2013.
- Fidel, Steve (1 Oct 2010). "2011 completion date for two TRAX lines announced". Deseret News (Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media). Retrieved 6 Mar 2013.
- Hancock, Laura (25 Feb 2010). "UTA's board OKs station names". Deseret News (Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media). Retrieved 8 Aug 2013.
- "Bangerter Station site plan" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Aug 2007. Retrieved 5 Apr 2013.
- "Mid-Jordan Transit Corridor CE/PE/FEIS" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 8 Aug 2013.
- "UTA Offers Free Multi-Day Parking". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 26 Jun 2013. Retrieved 12 Aug 2014.
- "UTA Renews Free Long-term Parking Program". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 3 Jul 2014. Retrieved 30 Jul 2014.
- Davidson, Lee (7 Dec 2011). "TRAX now charges for parking at one lot". The Salt Lake Tribune (Salt Lake City). Retrieved 9 Jan 2013.
- "UTA to Offer Covered Parking for a Fee". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 28 Nov 2011. Retrieved 12 Aug 2014.
- Wood, Benjamin (18 Mar 2013). "Parking will cost $1 per day at Draper FrontRunner stop". ksl.com (Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media). Retrieved 4 Apr 2013.
- "Fixed Route Accessibility". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 13 Mar 2013.
- "Rider Rules". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 Mar 2013.
- "TRAX" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 13 Apr 2014. Retrieved 15 Apr 2014.
- "Route 703 - Red Line" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 Aug 2014.