List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States, 2012
This is a list of people reported killed by non-military law enforcement officers in the United States in 2012, whether in the line of duty or not, and regardless of reason or method. The listing documents the occurrence of a death, making no implications regarding wrongdoing or justification on the part of the person killed or officer involved. Killings are arranged by date of the incident that caused death. Different death dates are, if known, noted in the description.
For lists of killings from other years, see List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States.
These lists are incomplete. Although Congress instructed the Attorney General in 1994 to compile and publish annual statistics on police use of excessive force, this was never carried out, and the FBI does not collect these data either. The annual average number of justifiable homicides alone was previously estimated to be near 400. Updated estimates from the Bureau of Justice Statistics released in 2015 estimate the number to be around 930 per year, or 1240 if assuming that nonreporting local agencies kill people at the same rate as reporting agencies.
- List of killings by law enforcement officers
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- List of cases of police brutality
- List of cases of police brutality in the United States
- Encounter killings by police (India)
- Death in custody
- List of American police officers killed in the line of duty
- List of journalists killed in the United States
- Tony Dokoupil (January 14, 2014). "What is police brutality? Depends on where you live". NBC News.
- Johnson, Kevin (Oct 15, 2008). "FBI: Justifiable homicides at highest in more than a decade". USA Today.
- Bialik, Carl (March 6, 2015). "A New Estimate Of Killings By Police Is Way Higher — And Still Too Low". FiveThirtyEight.