Margravine Louise of Brandenburg-Schwedt
|Louise of Brandenburg-Schwedt|
Louise of Brandenburg-Schwedt in a painting by Angelica Kauffman, 1798
|Spouse(s)||Leopold III, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau|
|Noble family||House of Hohenzollern|
|Father||Frederick Henry, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt|
|Mother||Leopoldine Marie of Anhalt-Dessau|
24 September 1750|
|Died||21 December 1811
Louise Henriette Wilhelmine of Brandenburg-Schwedt (24 September 1750 in Różanki – 21 December 1811 in Dessau), was a Margravine of Brandenburg by births and by marriage a princess, and later Duchess, of Anhalt-Dessau.
Louise was the daughter of Margrave Frederick Henry of Brandenburg-Schwedt and his wife Leopoldine Marie (born Princess of Anhalt-Dessau) from the line Brandenburg-Schwedt the House of Hohenzollern. She married her cousin Leopold III of Anhalt-Dessau on 25 July 1767 in Charlottenburg. By this marriage, she was Princess, and later Duchess, of Anhalt-Dessau.
She was considered educated and well read and was artistically gifted and was friends with famous artists, among them Angelica Kauffman, who painted some portraits of Louise. She travelled to England in 1775, and later to Switzerland and Italy.
- A daughter (b. and d. Dessau, 11 February 1768).
- Frederick, Hereditary Prince of Anhalt-Dessau (b. Dessau, 27 December 1769 – d. Dessau, 27 May 1814).
- Johanna Geyer-Kordesch (ed.): Die Englandreise der Fürstin Louise von Anhalt-Dessau im Jahre 1775, Nicolaische Verlagsbuchhandlung, Berlin, 2006, ISBN 3-89479-341-4
- Wilhelm Haefs, Holger Zaunstöck (ed.): Hof – Geschlecht – Kultur. Luise von Anhalt-Dessau (1750–1811) und die Fürstinnen ihrer Zeit = Das achtzehnte Jahrhundert, vol. 28, issue 2, Wallstein, Göttingen 2004, ISBN 3-89244-807-8
- Simone Hübner: Luise von Anhalt-Dessau — eine aufgeklärte Fürstin? Versuch einer Lebensbeschreibung thesis, Humboldt University, Berlin, 1993
- William and Ulrike Sheldon (eds.): Im Geist der Empfindsamkeit. Freundschaftsbriefe der Mösertochter Jenny von Voigts an die Fürstin Luise von Anhalt-Dessau 1780–1808, Wenner, Osnabrück, 1971
- Literature by and about Margravine Louise of Brandenburg-Schwedt in the German National Library catalogue
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|