Luis Pérez (baseball)
Pérez with the Toronto Blue Jays
January 20, 1985 |
Guayubín, Dominican Republic
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|April 16, 2011 for the Toronto Blue Jays|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.50|
Minor league career
Major league career
On April 15, 2011 Pérez got his first call up to the Toronto Blue Jays. On May 28, Pérez recorded his first career win in a 14-inning game against the Chicago White Sox. Corey Patterson hit a solo walk-off home run to give him the win.
After making 29 appearances out of the bullpen for the Blue Jays, Pérez made his first career start against the Oakland Athletics on August 21, 2011. Pérez got the win, pitching 6 innings and giving up just 1 hit and 2 walks. He struck out 4 batters and retired 15 straight batters to open the game.
After pitching to a 2-2 record with a 3.43 ERA in 35 relief appearances, Pérez was removed from a game against the Chicago White Sox on July 8. After the game it was determined that Pérez had torn his ulnar collateral ligament, and missed the rest of the 2012 season.
On May 7, 2013, it was reported that Pérez was expected to return faster than the usual one year recovery time associated with Tommy John surgery. Pérez was added to the Dunedin Blue Jays roster for a rehab assignment, and pitched two innings in relief on June 10. His rehab assignment was changed to the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons on August 28. He was activated from the 60-day disabled list by the Blue Jays on September 3 after the Bisons season ended, and the major league rosters expanded. Pérez made his first appearance of the 2013 season on September 4.
- Perez gives Blue Jays eight-man bullpen
- Pérez primed for first Major League start vs. A's
- Jays rally to beat Indians in longest ever game Opening-Day game
- Jays' Perez to miss rest of the season with left elbow tear
- Blue Jays pitcher Luis Perez has torn ulnar collateral ligament
- Chisholm, Gregor (May 7, 2013). "Drabek, Hutchison on schedule in recovery". MLB.com. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "Perez joins Bisons on injury assignment". Buffalo Bisons. August 28, 2013. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Lott, John (September 2, 2013). "Blue Jays call up Ricky Romero, Kyle Drabek and three others for September". National Post. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- "boxscore sept 4 Blue Jays vs Diamondbacks". ESPN.com. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- Adams, Steve (March 20, 2014). "Blue Jays Claim Matt Tuiasosopo, Release Luis Perez". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- O'Brien, David (March 31, 2014). "Braves sign lefty reliever Perez". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved March 31, 2014.