The original Janesville City Hospital was founded in 1883 by Dr. Henry Palmer, a Civil War surgeon general who had trained Daniel Hale Williams. The hospital later became named Palmer Memorial Hospital and was run by his son Dr. William Palmer. It was then bought by the Sisters of Mercy of Chicago who renamed it Palmer Memorial Mercy Hospital. The Mercy Sisters worked as trained nurses during the Civil War, both on the battlefield and in hospitals founded by the order, often bringing health care to soldiers where none existed. After the war they took on the work of public health care, but in the second half of the 20th century the order began to divest itself of its health care holdings, of which Janesville Mercy was one. In 1989, Mercy's volunteer board of directors selected Javon R. Bea as its president and CEO.
In 2011, Saint Mary’s Health Care in Grand Rapids and Mercy Health Partners merged to form Mercy Health.
In 1998, Modern Healthcare magazine ranked Mercy at the top of its "Fastest Fifty", ranking providers by net patient revenue growth (1991-1996). In 2006, Mercy Health System was ranked first in the nation by the AARP for providing employment options for people over age 50, and it received an award from the Hospitals for a Healthy Environment (H2E) green hospitals program. In 2007, Mercy Health System was awarded the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. It was ranked 11th of the Top 100 Integrated Health Networks for 2008 by Modern Healthcare magazine. Working Mother magazine listed Mercy among its 100 Best Companies for 2012 for its child care, flexible scheduling options, leave policies, and advancement programs.
- Mercy Hospital, Janesville (275 beds)
- Mercy Harvard Hospital, Harvard, Illinois (15 beds)
- Mercy Walworth Hospital and Medical Center, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin (25 beds)
- Saint Mary's Health Care, Grand Rapids
- Saint Mary's Southwest, Byron Center
Medical & specialty centers
- Beloit, Wisconsin
- Brodhead, Wisconsin
- Delavan, Wisconsin
- Edgerton, Wisconsin
- Evansville, Wisconsin
- Janesville, Wisconsin
- Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
- Milton, Wisconsin
- Sharon, Wisconsin
- Whitewater, Wisconsin
- Algonquin, Illinois
- Barrington, Illinois
- Crystal Lake, Illinois
- Harvard, Illinois
- Lake in the Hills, Illinois
- McHenry, Illinois
- Richmond, Illinois
- Vernon Hills, Illinois
- Woodstock, Illinois
- http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/04/saint_marys_health_care_and_me_1.html Saint Mary's Health Care and Mercy Health Partners prepare for launch of combined organization]
- "Hot Jobs 2006". Archived from the original on 2006-11-16. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Health Care's Environmental Leaders Receive Nation's Top Honor". Retrieved 2013-02-15.[dead link]
- "2012 Working Mother 100 Best Companies". Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- Mercy Health System website