Miguel Ángel Ruiz
|Miguel Ángel Ruiz|
|Born||August 27, 1952
|Pen name||Don Miguel Ruiz|
|Occupation||Author, teacher, shaman|
|Notable work(s)||The Four Agreements|
Don Miguel Ángel Ruiz (born 1952), better known as Don Miguel Ruiz, is a Mexican author of New Age spiritualist and neoshamanistic texts. His teaching is significantly influenced by the work of Carlos Castaneda.
His most famous and influential work, The Four Agreements, was published in 1997 and has sold around 4 million copies. It was featured on the Oprah television show, and advocates personal freedom from agreements and beliefs that we have made with ourselves and others that are creating limitation and unhappiness in our lives. Ultimately, it is about finding one's own integrity, self-love, and peace by way of absolving oneself from responsibility for the woes of others. The Four Agreements are:
- Be Impeccable With Your Word.
- Don't Take Anything Personally.
- Don't Make Assumptions.
- Always Do Your Best.
Ruiz also wrote a companion book to The Four Agreements. He then wrote several other books, including The Voice of Knowledge, Prayers, and The Mastery of Love.
Don Miguel Ruiz's son Don Jose Ruiz has subsequently released a sequel, The Fifth Agreement, which adds a further agreement:
- 5. Be Skeptical but Learn to Listen.
In Mary Carroll Nelson's Beyond Fear, he discusses some of his beliefs through a series of interviews, including his belief in the legend of Atlantis; his belief that the sun entered its sixth age on January 11, 1992, which should lead to a new age for humanity; and his belief in the spiritual power of the pyramid of the sun at Teotihuacan. Fluent in Spanish and English, he often lectures and leads retreats in the United States. Many of his students are American. In 2002 he suffered a massive heart attack, and spent nine weeks in a coma, but recovered although he was in pain for the next 8 years. He has handed the Eagle-Knight lineage[clarification needed] over to his son Don José Ruiz. On October 9, 2010, Ruiz received a heart transplant at a hospital in Los Angeles, California. He was at a retreat in Wimberley, Texas, at the Lotus Ranch when he found out that a heart was available and had to charter a plane to get back to Los Angeles.
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Wisdom (A Toltec Wisdom Book), 1997, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 978-1-878424-31-0
- The Mastery of Love: A Practical Guide to the Art of Relationship (A Toltec Wisdom Book), 1999, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 978-1-878424-42-6
- The Four Agreements Companion Book: Using The Four Agreements to Master the Dream of Your Life (A Toltec Wisdom Book)", 2000, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 978-1-878424-48-8
- Prayers: A Communion with Our Creator (Toltec Wisdom), 2001, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 978-1-878424-52-5
- The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide To Inner Peace, 2004, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 978-1-878424-54-9
- The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery, 2010, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 978-1-878424-68-6
- Wisdom from the Four Agreements (Charming Petites), 2003, Peter Pauper Press, ISBN 0-88088-990-X
- Wisdom from the Mastery of Love (Charming Petites), 2003, Peter Pauper Press, ISBN 0-88088-425-8
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Miguel Ángel Ruiz|