|Directed by||Hany Abu-Assad|
|Produced by||Hany Abu-Assad
|Written by||Hany Abu-Assad|
|Edited by||Martin Brinkler
Omar (Arabic: عمر) is a 2013 Palestinian drama film directed by Hany Abu-Assad. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival where it won the Jury Prize. It was shown at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. The film has been selected as the Palestinian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 86th Academy Awards, and was among the five finalists. It also won Best Feature Film at the 2013 Asian Pacific Screen Awards. The film was screened at the United Nations in New York on 1 May 2014.
- Adam Bakri as Omar
- Eyad Hourani as Tarek
- Samer Bisharat as Amjad
- Waleed Zuaiter as Agent Rami
- Leem Lubany as Nadia
- Baher Agbariya as Prison Guard #1
- Majd Bitar as Tarek's Friend
- Walid Abed Elsalam as Leader at the Funeral
- David Gerson as Prison Guard #2
- Anna Maria Hawa as Abeer Omar's Sister
- Laura Hawa as Nurse
- Ihab Jadallah as Prisoner in Yard
- Nael Kanj as Rami's Agent #1
- Tarik Kopty as Tarek's Father
- Adi Krayem as Soldier
- Doraid Liddawi as Soldier
- Eli Rezik as Prison Guard #3
- Yousef 'Joe' Sweid as Torturer
- Ziyad Jarjoura as Amer Omar's Brother
Director Hany Abu-Assad describes putting together the idea of the film in one night, writing the structure of the story in four hours and writing the script in four days. After a year of securing finance, filming began at the end of 2012 and took place mainly in Nazareth (Israel), Nablus and the Far'a refugee camp.
Adopt Films acquired all U.S. rights to Omar after its premier at the Cannes Film Festival. UK distribution rights was acquired by Soda Pictures and distribution rights in France was sold to Pretty Pictures.
|Academy Awards||Best Foreign Language Film||Hany Abu-Assad||Nominated|
|American Film Institute Fest||Grand Jury Prize||Hany Abu-Assad||Nominated|
|Asian Pacific Screen Awards||Best Feature Film||Hany Abu-Assad, Waleed Zuaiter||Won|
|Best Performance by an Actor||Adam Bakri||Nominated|
|Achievement In Cinematography||Ehab Assal||Nominated|
|Camerimage||The Silver Frog Prize for Best Cinematography||Ehab Assal||Won|
|Cannes Film Festival||Un Certain Regard Jury Prize||Hany Abu-Assad, Waleed Zuaiter||Won|
|Dubai International Film Festival||Muhr Arab Best Director Award||Hany Abu-Assad||Won|
|Muhr Best Film||Waleed Zuaiter||Won|
|Ghent International Film Festival||Youth Jury Award Best Film||Hany Abu-Assad||Won|
|Fajr International Film Festival||Crystal Simorgh Prize for Best Direction||Hany Abu-Assad||Won|
|New York Film Festival||Grand Marnier Fellowship Award - Best Film||Nominated|
|Palm Springs International Film Festival||Best Foreign Language Film||Nominated|
|Tromsø International Film Festival||The Norwegian Peace Film Award||Hany Abu-Assad||Won|
- List of submissions to the 86th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Palestinian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 30 April 2013. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- Richford, Rhonda (26 May 2013). "Cannes: 'The Missing Picture' Wins Un Certain Regard Prize". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "Toronto film festival 2013: the full line-up". The Guardian (London). 23 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Foreign Language Oscar: Israel Submits ‘Bethlehem’; Palestine Goes With ‘Omar’". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "Oscars: Main nominations 2014". BBC News. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Asia Pacific Screen Awards Announced in Australia". Australia Network News. 13 December 2013.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (15 December 2013). "Foreign Language Oscar Preview A Long List Of Strong Contenders For Such a Shortlist Of Possibles Nominees". Deadline London.
- Ritman, Alex (3 December 2013). "Hany Abu-Assad presents a direct hit from the West Bank at DIFF". The National.
- "AFI Fest: Hany Abu-Assad talks about making of Omar". 12 November 2013.
- Asfour, Nana (2014-02-22). "Omar: the Palestinian Oscar nominee made amid panic and paranoia". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Adopt Films To Distribute Palestine's Oscar Bid 'Omar'". indiewire.com. 2013-10-03. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "Soda nabs London Film Festival duo". ScreenDaily. 2013-10-06. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
- Kemp, Stuart (2013-12-13). "Dubai Film Fest: Hany Abu Assad's 'Omar' Wins Top Prize". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2014-01-02.