|Stable release||2.8.0 / 14 October 2014|
|License||GNU GPL v3|
Piwik is a free and open source web analytics application written by a team of international developers that runs on a PHP/MySQL webserver. Piwik is used by over 1,000,000 websites, 1.2% of all websites, and has been translated to more than 45 languages. New versions of Piwik are regularly released every few weeks.
Piwik tracks online visits to one or more websites and displays reports on these visits for analysis.
Piwik displays reports regarding the geographic location of visits, the source of visits (i.e. whether they came from a website, directly, or something else), the technical capabilities of visitors (browser, screen size, operating system, etc.), what the visitors did (pages they viewed, actions they took, how they left), the time of visits and more.
In addition to these reports, Piwik provides some other features that can help users analyze the data Piwik accumulates, such as:
- Annotations — the ability to save notes (such as one's analysis of data) and attach them to dates in the past.
- Transitions — a feature similar to Click path-like features that allows one to see how visitors navigate a website, but different in that it only displays navigation information for one page at a time.
- Goals — the ability to set goals for actions it is desired for visitors to take (such as visiting a page or buying a product). Piwik will track how many visits result in those actions being taken.
- E-commerce — the ability to track if and how much people spend on a website.
- Page Overlay — a feature that displays analytics data overlaid on top of a website.
- Row Evolution — a feature that displays how metrics change over time within a report.
- Custom Variables — the ability to attach data, like a user name, to visit data.
Piwik also provides features that are not directly related to analyzing web traffic, including:
- Privacy Options — the ability to anonymize IP addresses, purge tracking data regularly (but not report data), opt-out support and Do Not Track support. In Germany, 13% of .de websites use Piwik because of these options.
- Scheduled Reports — reports sent regularly by e-mail or text message.
- Log Importing — a script is also provided that imports data from web server logs.
- the API — every report is accessible through a web API as well as almost every administrative function. Programs can be created to use this API.
- the Mobile App — a free mobile app is provided so users can access their analytics data on their phone.
Though not strictly speaking a feature, Piwik also has the characteristic that users are the only people who see their own data. This is a by-product of Piwik being a self-hosted solution. Software as a service solutions (such as Google Analytics) on the other hand, have full access to the data users collect.
The Piwik community has also created several plugins that can be used to augment Piwik. There are currently 20 third-party plugins.
The team behind Piwik offers some commercial services to go along with the software. These services include yearly support plans, training, managed hosting and general Piwik-related consulting (for installation, system configuration and maintenance, scaling and custom development).
Piwik was selected SourceForge.net's Project of the Month for July 2009.
In December 2012 Piwik started crowdfunding for requested new features.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Piwik.|
- "Piwik Web Analytics Usage Statistics".
- "Usage statistics and market share of Piwik for websites". Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Piwik Translations".
- "Changelog Piwik". 2011-11-17. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Piwik usage in Germany blog". 2009-09-10. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Integrate your website or app with Piwik".
- "Piwik's plugin marketplace".
- "Piwik Professional Services".
- "Hosted Apps". 2009-01-10. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- "piwik Open Source web analytics added to SourceForge.net Hosted Apps". 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2008-11-26.[dead link]
- Project of the Month, July 2009
- "Best of open source enterprise software". 2009-08-31. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- "Start of Crowdfunding for Piwik 2.0: Donate to directly support the Piwik 2.0 development!". 2012-12-18. Retrieved 2012-12-27.