|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
|Industry||Computer-aided design, Computer-aided manufacturing|
|Founded||1965 (as a team within Cambridge University Engineering Department)
1989 (as Delcam International)
|Headquarters||Birmingham, England, UK|
|Key people||Clive Martell (Managing Director)
Hugh Humphreys (Executive Deputy Chairman)
Ed Lambourne (Technical Director)
Kulwant Singh (Finance Director)
Bart Simpson (Commercial Director)
Steve Hobbs (Development Director)
Peter Miles (Non-Executive Chairman)
Geoff McFarland (Non-Executive Director
|Products||Engineering Software, Turnkey cells|
|Services||Maintenance, Bespoke solutions|
Delcam is a supplier of advanced CAD/CAM software for the manufacturing industry. Listed on the UK Stock Exchange the company has grown steadily since being founded formally in 1977, after initial development work at Cambridge University, UK. It is now a global developer of product design and manufacturing software, with subsidiaries and joint ventures in North America, South America, Europe and Asia with a total staff of over 800 people and local support provided in over 300 re-seller offices worldwide.
In 1965 Donald Welbourn, saw the possibility of using computers to assist pattern makers to solve the problems of modelling difficult 3D shapes. He persuaded the Science Research Council to support research at the Cambridge University Engineering Department. Early sponsorship was provided by Ford and Control Data in Germany, whose customers included Volkswagen and Daimler Benz. In 1974 the Delta Group seconded Ed Lambourne (now Technical Director at Delcam) to the Cambridge Team. After Lambourne returned to Delta a Birmingham-based development centre was established in 1977.
In 1989, the company was bought from Delta Group in a buyout led by Managing Director Hugh Humphreys and Ed Lambourne. The company was renamed Delcam International in 1991 and moved to a new purpose built office in Small Heath. In July 1997, Delcam plc was floated on the Alternative Investment Market to expand international operations and increase the investment development.
The company now have over 300 offices assisting 90,000 users worldwide with an annual turnover of over £100 million with the largest development team in the industry.
- 1960s Initial research at Cambridge University
- 1970s Development taken over by Delta Group
- 1980s Software sales start
- 1989 Staff purchase company
- 1991 New HQ, Birmingham, UK
- 1997 Delcam floats on UK Market
- 2001 Alcami Joins Delcam
- 2005 EGS (FeatureCAM) joins Delcam
- 2006 IMCS (PartMaker) joins Delcam
- 2007 Crispin joins Delcam
- 2008 25,000th Customer
- 2009 30,000th Customer
- 2010 35,000th Customer
- 2012 40,000th Customer
- 2013 45,000th Customer
Advanced Manufacturing Solutions
Is a 3D CAD (Computer-aided Design) solution that runs on Microsoft Windows which allows for the design of 3D complex models using surfaces, solids and triangles. The software allows for the import of 3D point cloud data to reverse engineer 3D models. PowerSHAPE is used for a variety of applications including Modelling for manufacture, electrode design, mould and toolmaking. The code of PowerSHAPE originates from the DUCT software.
A CAD based inspection solution package for use with many types of inspection hardware, including manual and CNC CMMs, portable arms, optical measuring devices and CNC machine tools (OMV). Developed for use on Microsoft Windows, the software is sold to a wide range of industries.
- PowerMILL Robot Interface
A software package for the programming of machining robots with up to 8 axes.
A feature-based CAM solution for milling, turning, and wire EDM.
A CAM software for programming of turn-mill equipment bar-fed mills and Swiss-type lathes.
- Delcam for SolidWorks
- Delcam Exchange
A CAD data translator for reading and writing all commonly used CAD format files.
- Delcam Electrode
- On Machine Verification
A package for measurement of complex parts directly on the machine tools.
Artistic CADCAM Solutions
- ArtCAM JewelSmith
A specialist 3D design and manufacture solution for jewelers.
- ArtCAM Pro
A complete solution for the design and manufacture of 2D Artwork & 3D Reliefs.
- ArtCAM Insignia
Is for production-level layout and manufacture of 2D Artwork & 3D Reliefs.
- ArtCAM Express
Is a low cost introductory design and machining solution.
Is a web-based workflow management tool for tracking orders remotely.
Is for the design of dental restorations.
Is for the manufacture of dental restorations.
- iMetric Scanner
Is a scanner for generating dental teeth impressions.
Is a software package for the design of custom orthotic insoles.
Is a software package for the manufacture of custom orthotic insoles.
- iQube Scanner
Is a foot, plaster cast and foambox scanner
Is a software package for 3D last modification and 3D last grading.
Is a software package for the 3D design of footwear.
Is software for 3D sole unit engineering and grading.
- Engineer Pro
Is software for 2D pattern engineering and grading.
Is software for 2D pattern part nesting and cutting.
Is software for 2D pattern part nesting and cutting for projection cutting machines.
Is software for total footwear costing.
Is a technical documentation software package
- 1991 Queen’s Award for International Trade
- 2003 Queen’s Award for Innovation awarded for ArtCAM
- 2004 Queen’s Award for Innovation awarded for PowerINSPECT
- 2005 Queen’s Award for International Trade
- 2010 Queen’s Award for Innovation awarded for Dental CADCAM Software 
- 2011 Queen's Award for International Trade 
- 2011 Ringier Technology Innovation Award for 'Delcam for SolidWorks' from International Metalworking News 
- 2012 MTA Manufacturing Industry Award for Best Supplier Partnership for its relationship with Coventry Engineering Group 
Delcam operates a development scheme for engineering and software graduates. The graduate programme consists of five 10 week rotations across different functions of the company. Functions include Professional Services, international support, marketing, ArtCAM, PowerINSPECT, and training. Graduates also have the opportunity to work at Delcam USA in Philadelphia or Salt Lake City.
Delcam's logo incorporates a computer-modelled spider named Boris. This was produced as an experiment to render hairs in Delcam's CAD software in 1984. Upon seeing a machined version at a show, the Managing Director Hugh Humphreys decided to take it home and use it within the company's logo.
- "Delcam Rated World's Leading CAM Software Specialist for 12th Year". tct. 02/08/12. Retrieved 15/11/12.
- "Delcam Fact Sheet". Retrieved 09/10/12.
- "Delcam’s New PowerSHAPE CAD Enhances Direct Modelling and Reverse Engineering". CIMdata. Retrieved 29/10/12.
- Dean, Al. "PowerShape Pro 2013". Develop3D. Retrieved 25/10/12.
- E4 Editorial Staff (15/01/00). "Model it, make it, and inspect it". theENGINEER. Retrieved 05/11/12.
- "Delcam’s Demonstrates PowerInspect Software, and Receives Queen's Award". netcomposites. 2004-04-30. Retrieved 05/11/12.
- "Delcam to Launch New PowerINSPECT with Free Birmingham Seminar". tct magazine. 06/07/12. Retrieved 05/11/12.
- "The Queens Awards for Enterprise - Innovation Winners List". Retrieved 09/10/12.
- "Queens Award Winners 2011". Retrieved 09/10/12.
- "2012 Ringier Technology Innovation Awards". Retrieved 09/10/12.
- Stirling, Will. "Delcam, NPL and B-Tek Precision take honours at MTA Awards 2012". Retrieved 09/10/12.
- About Delcam Graduate Programme
- Boris' History; Delcam Website;