Columba flavirostris Wagler, 1831
The red-billed pigeon (Patagioenas flavirostris) is a relatively large pigeon which breeds from southern Texas, United States, and northwestern Mexico south to Costa Rica. It belongs to a clade of Patagioenas which generally lack iridescent display plumage, except some vestiges in the Pale-vented Pigeon.
It is found in open country with some trees, large clearings and cultivation in lowlands and middle altitudes to 2,100 m (6,900 ft). It builds a rudimentary platform nest out of twigs in a tree about 4–25 m (13–82 ft) above the ground, usually on a horizontal branch or on a palm crown, and lays one white egg.
The red-billed pigeon is mid or large-sized pigeon, at 30–37 cm (12–15 in) in length and a weight of 230–425 g (8.1–15.0 oz). It is mainly wine-purple, becoming browner on the back, and with a grey tail, lower belly and flight feathers. The bill is white with a red base, and the legs and eyes are red. Juvenile birds are duller than adults and the plumage is brown-tinged.
It is normally seen alone or in pairs and rarely forms flocks. It feeds on the ground, seeking acorns, berries and buds.
The red-billed pigeon has a loud kuk c'c'coooo call that is given in rows; the initial short kuk is characteristic for this group of Patagioenas.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Patagioenas flavirostris". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Johnson, Kevin P.; de Kort, Selvino; Dinwoodey, Karen; Mateman, A.C.; ten Cate, Carel; Lessells, C.M.; Clayton, Dale H. (2001). "A molecular phylogeny of the dove genera Streptopelia and Columba". Auk 118 (4): 874–887. doi:10.2307/4089839.
- Dunning Jr., John B., ed. (1992). CRC Handbook of Avian Body Masses. CRC Press. ISBN 978-0-8493-4258-5.
- Mahler, Bettina; Tubaro, Pablo L. (2001). "Relationship between song characters and morphology in New World pigeons". Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 74 (4): 533–539. doi:10.1006/bijl.2001.0596.
- Stiles, F. Gary; Skutch, Alexander F. (1989). A Guide to the Birds of Costa Rica. Comstock Publishing Associates. ISBN 0-8014-9600-4.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Patagioenas flavirostris.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Patagioenas flavirostris|
- Red-billed pigeon videos, photos, and sounds at the Internet Bird Collection
- Red-billed pigeon photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Red-billed pigeon species account at NeotropicalBirds (Cornell University)