||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (February 2012)|
Rogerio Tiago Lobato (born 25 July 1949 ) is an East Timorese politician and former Interior Minister belonging to Fretilin. He was a founding member of the first independent government of East Timor, in 1975, led by Fretilin. He is also the brother of the late Nicolau Lobato, second President of the country who was killed in action after the Indonesian invasion, in late 1978.
In 2006 Rogerio resigned as Minister over a dispute with the military over alleged discrimination. Lobato was jailed on five charges of arming civilians during the 2006 East Timorese crisis in March 2007 and sentenced seven and a half years in jail. The arming of civilians occurred after the country's police force had disintegrated, during a coup attempt.
In 2007, Rogerio Lobato tried to leave the country to go to Malaysia for heart surgery resulting in a standoff at Dili Airport. He escaped in a Kuwait owned lear Jet belonging to Sheikh Mubarak Al Jaber Al Ahmad Al Sabah and his aid Sheikh Homoud Rashed Al Homoud Al Sabah.
Lobato began his political career as part of Fretilin when it declared independence in November 1975. 3 December that year he departed East Timor with fellow Fretilin member Mari Alkatiri to promote the interests of the new country. Following the Indonesian invasion of East Timor on December 7, Lobato and Alkatiri stayed in Africa to campaign for the rights of their home country.
- Xinhua "Timor-Leste's two senior ministers resign" 1 June 2006
- Northern Territory News "Lobato guilty on `hit squad' charges" 8 March 2007 accessed via Australia New Zealand Reference Centre
- The Australian, 10 August 2008, Lobato escapes after Dili standoff
- The Age, 23 May 2008, Ramos Horta cuts jail terms for militia
- Dennis Shoesmith. 2003. "Timor Leste: Divided Leadership in a Semi-Presidential System." Asian Survey, Vol. 43. No. 2. (Mar. - Apr., 2003), pp. 231-252.
|This article about an East Timorese politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|