Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand
|Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand|
Secret of the Scarlet Hand is the 6th installment in the Nancy Drew point-and-click adventure game series by Her Interactive. The game is available for play on Microsoft Windows platforms. It has an ESRB rating of E for moments of mild violence and peril. Players take on the first-person view of fictional amateur sleuth Nancy Drew and must solve the mystery through interrogation of suspects, solving puzzles, and discovering clues. There are two levels of gameplay, Junior and Senior detective modes, each offering a different difficulty level of puzzles and hints, however neither of these changes affect the actual plot of the game. The game is loosely based on a book of the same name The Secret of the Scarlet Hand (1995).  
Nancy Drew lands an internship at the Beech Hill Museum in Washington D.C, which is devoted to Mayan culture and will soon be exhibiting a newly discovered monolith to the public. However, shortly before the exhibition opens, one of the museum's most treasured pieces is stolen from the museum, and the thief leaves behind a mysterious red handprint. Nancy must find the stolen jade carving of Pacal and save Beech Hill from financial ruin.
- Nancy Drew - Nancy is an eighteen-year old amateur detective from the fictional town of River Heights in the United States. She is the only playable character in the game, which means the player must solve the mystery from her perspective.
- Joanna Riggs - Joanna is the curator of Beech Hill Museum. Her eagerness to obtain rare Mayan artifacts have gotten her into financial trouble with the Beech Hill Board of Directors before. She knows a few Latin phrases and is usually all business. She doesn't get along well with the Mexican Consulate due to artifacts that the museum has acquired under shady circumstances.
- Henrik van der Hune - Henrik works at Beech Hill Museum. He was hired by Joanna from the Chaco Canyon Cultural Center, where he worked previously. An expert in glyph translations, Henrik works in the museum's lab studying priceless artifacts. Perhaps he learned something in his translations and then stole the Pacal stone to keep others from learning it secrets?
- Taylor Sinclair - Taylor is an art dealer with an office in Washington, D.C. He believes something shady is going on at Beech Hill and fears for the future of the museum. He is also concerned about the robberies of Prudence Rutherford and a museum in New Mexico. Is he just pretending to be concerned in order to get off Nancy's suspect list?
- Alejandro del Rio - Alejandro is an ambassador to the Mexican Consulate in Washington, D.C, and knows several languages, including Spanish, English, and Nahuatl. Alejandro passionately believes that all artifacts should be returned to the country they were found, especially when it comes to his home country, Mexico. He believes that Mexico has been 'robbed' of one of its greatest artifacts, the Pacal carving. Would he take extreme measures in order to repatriate artifacts to Mexico?
- Frank Hardy and Joe Hardy - Nancy's friends who work for a secret organization called ATAC. They are undercover detectives. Like Bess and George, they can be called for hints and tips.
- Franklin Rose - A member of Beech Hill's Board of Directors, and a friend of Nancy's father, Carson Drew. He relays the activities of the Board of Directors to Nancy.
- Silvio Jr. - Silvio works at Silvio's Curatorial Bonanza, a packing supply company. Call him to complete one of the tasks assigned by Joanna.
- Mack - Mack works for Keep it Real Restoration, a company that sells chemical compounds for restorative purposes. Call him for information about the museum's ordering history.
- Nurse Bluefoot - A male nurse at the hospital where Henrik van der Hune is taken after his accident.
- Prudence Rutherford - Prudence is a wealthy Kansas socialite who owned a Mayan jade carvings that was stolen. Call her for more information about the theft and the carving.
- Henry Albert Daddle - A direct decedent of a man who acquired a Mayan jade carving at auction many years ago. Call him for information about his carving.
- Poppy Dada - An artist represented by Taylor Sinclair. Her work is on display in his office. Call her for more information about her artwork and her father's jade carving.
- Sheila Schultz - The director of the Chaco Canyon Cultural Center in New Mexico, which recently had a jade carving stolen. Call her for more information about the theft and the carving.
- Joanna Riggs - Laurie Jerger
- Taylor Sinclair - Jake Perrine
- Henrik van der Hune - David S. Hogan
- Alejandro del Rio - Gary Hoffman
- Bess Marvin - Alisa Murray
- George Fayne - Maureen Nelson
- Frank Hardy - Joshua Silwa
- Joe Hardy - Rob Jones
- Franklin Rose / Silvio Jr. - Wayne Rawley
- Gordon Bluefoot / Mack / Dr. Bob Bobson - Scott Plusquellec
- Prudence Rutherford - Simone Choule
- Poppy Dada - Julie Rawley
- Henry Albert Daddle - Scott Carty
- Sheila Schultz - Amy Broomhall 
In each of the games, there are different points where Nancy can make "fatal errors." These points are usually when she blows her cover as a detective or gets seriously injured. At such points, the game will stop and give the player the option to try again before the fatal error occurred. If the player doesn't wish to retry, then the game is over. The fatal errors in Secret of the Scarlet Hand include:
- Falling in the tunnel that connects the temple exhibit to outside.
- Getting electrocuted by the HAM radio.
- Dropping the calendar stones.
- Suffocating inside the monolith.
- On the level 3 at the bottom of the temple across the bridge, use your key card to open the door even though Nancy can not see anything in the passageway. Now, click forward rapidly to advance Nancy through the dark tunnel and to bypass Nancy falling. Click once more to open the door at the end of the tunnel to now get back into the garden.
- Dial 555-5412 on the telephone in the laboratory. Wait until the caption changes from "ringing..." to "**ringing**" then, without hanging up the telephone, dial 555-6766. You will find yourself at Nancy's hotel!
- Calling Franklin Rose about Prudence Rutherford after Joanna gets sent to the police station. If you call him at that time, the only thing you can tell him about is sending Joanna back to the museum and you won't be able to talk to him about Prudence Rutherford. Even if you call her, she won't answer. The game won't progress.
References to Previous Games
References to previous games in the series include:
- The Koko Kringle candy bars are "Wickford" brand, possibly made at Wickford Castle. (Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower)
- When talking to Henrik about the Mayan Pot, one of the choices is to say, "In the words of Nicholas Falcone, come on, spill it!" (Nancy Drew: The Final Scene)
- During her conversations with Franklin Rose, Nancy talks about two of her past cases: a kidnapping at the Royal Palladium (Nancy Drew: The Final Scene) and an attempt at a ski vacation in Wisconsin (Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower).
- This is the first game in the series to feature:
- a trailer for the next game at the end.
- the Hardy Boys, albeit, only as voices over the phone.
- the chocolate bar "Koko Kringles".
- "Krolmeister" as a brand name.
- Punchy LaRue is one of the names listed on the plaques in the lobby of Beech Hill Museum (near Joanna's office). Punchy LaRue did the voice of Bess Marvin in Nancy Drew: The Final Scene.
- In Sonny Joon's notebook, he mentions a website where you can get walkthroughs for Nancy Drew Games (Just Adventure).
- All the metro stops Nancy can get off at are actual metro stops in Washington, D.C.
- Nancy's wallpaper on her laptop is a picture of her dog, Togo.
- Joanna sometimes says goodbye with the Latin phrase "semper ubi sub ubi". This translates as "Always where under where".
- The Dada movement, starting at the beginning of WWI, was composed of artists who wanted to randomize their selection of mediums (materials; pencil, crayon, etc.) on canvas. They also wanted to use new mediums that no one had ever used before.
- Poppy Dada records amusing outgoing messages on her answering machine. To hear them, call Poppy (1-605-555-3197) before getting her number from her father. Also call her back after speaking with her about the jade carving.
- "Nancy Drew Secret of the Scarlet Hand | Girl Games Online". Herinteractive.com.
- "Nancy Drew Secret of the Scarlet Hand IMDb".
Nancy Drew: The Final Scene
|Nancy Drew Computer Games||Succeeded by
Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake