||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
Sergio Pizzorno performing at McCallum Park in 2012
|Birth name||Sergio Lorenzo Pizzorno|
|Also known as||Serge|
15 December 1980 |
Newton Abbot, Devon, England
|Genres||space rock, alternative rock, neo-psychedelia, electronic rock, electronica|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, synthesizer, piano, omnichord, bass guitar, tambourine|
Sergio Lorenzo "Serge" Pizzorno (born 15 December 1980) is a British guitarist and songwriter, best known for his work with the rock band Kasabian. He is Kasabian's lead songwriter since the departure of Christopher Karloff. He is also a member of Loose Tapestries alongside Noel Fielding and Kasabian touring member Tim Carter, a group put together to produce music for Fielding's TV series Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy.
Serge's grandfather emigrated from Genoa, Italy to England and settled in Leicester. Despite being brought up in the city, Serge was born in Newton Abbot, Devon because his mother liked the hospital. Serge originally had intentions to start a career in football. He says "I told my careers adviser I wanted to be centre forward for Leicester City". He also stated as a young boy that his main aim in life is to become as successful as possible. Serge attended Countesthorpe Community College in Leicestershire. Serge has two young sons named Ennio and Lucio with his girlfriend Amy, despite popular press belief, they are not married and Serge hasn't expressed any interest in becoming a married man.
Serge is not seen as being fond of Kasabian being compared to similar, older bands, including Oasis and The Stone Roses. He says "The foreign fans listen to the music more and don't call us The Stone Roses or anything. I think they get us for who we are, especially in France and places like that. There's no baggage like in the UK." Pizzorno has also expressed admiration for Damon Albarn, the frontman of Oasis' rival Britpop band Blur.
Despite this, Serge is still a keen admirer of Britpop band Oasis, in particular former lead guitarist Noel Gallagher. "At our school, if you played guitar you got beat up for being a ponce. Then Oasis came along and suddenly playing guitar was cool. They inspired a whole generation of bands. When we started out as kids, it was Noel Gallagher who inspired me more than any teacher or historical figure I’d heard about." "For Oasis to ask us to go with them is an honour and a pleasure. I imagine they see a lot of themselves in us and I don't imagine they’d go on tour with a band they didn't like."
Kasabian are consistently referred to as an indie rock band, but, Pizzorno has said "We've never been an indie band, you know, and I sort of fucking hate indie bands." He has referred to the band's music as "future rock".
Serge has also worked with former Kasabian lead guitarist and song writer Chris Karloff on the DJ Shadow track "The Tiger" from the album The Outsider. He notably scored a fabulous volley in the "Road to Wembley" segment on Soccer AM.
Serge was at Wembley in December 2010 to make the draw for the FA Cup Third Round Proper, along with former Oasis guitarist and good friend Noel Gallagher. There were allegations of the draw being fixed after both men drew out their favourite teams – Leicester City and Manchester City – to play each other in a Third Round tie, however these were denied by the FA, Pizzorno and Gallagher.
In 2011, Pizzorno joined forces with friend Noel Fielding to create music for his new E4 sketch show Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy. They formed a project called Loose Tapestries. Together, they also wrote the music for the second series of the show, which will be airing later in 2014.
Pizzorno scored the opening goal for the Rest of the World in a Soccer Aid match against England, played by celebrities and ex-footballers on 27 May 2012. Although the Rest of the World went on to lose 3–1, Pizzorno won the Man of the Match award. The goal itself was a wonder goal, hit perfectly to chip the former England international goalkeeper David Seaman from a difficult angle.
Serge's guitar of choice is a red Rickenbacker 481 which he has played in nearly all of Kasabian's music videos (excluding the video for "Switchblade Smiles"), and nearly all their live performances. He also uses another rare guitar, a red 1966 Fender Coronado II with a golden pickguard, notable for unique guitar sound from their 2009 single "Underdog" despite the Rickenbacker 481 being shown in the music video. The Fender Coronado is used for their live performances of the song. The Fender Coronado is also during live performances of their 2009 song "Where Did All the Love Go?". A full list of his guitars is:
- FireGlo Rickenbacker 481,
- JetGlo Rickenbacker 481,
- MapleGlo Rickenbacker 480,
- Red 1966 Fender Coronado II,
- Vox Ultrasonic
- Epiphone Casino (Resprayed with matte black finish)
- White Vox teardrop (Also resprayed with Matte black finish)
- Mick Johnson Vox Teardrop,
- A matte black Fender Jazzmaster
- Vox Semi acoustic,
- Gibson J-160e Acoustic,
- Gibson Hummingbird,
- Gibson J-200
- 1950's Höfner Senator (which he borrowed from his guitar tech, Rick)
- Zemaitis GZA200-SUN-NT
Sergio Pizzorno utilises many guitar pedals to achieve his sound such as Electro Harmonix POG, Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, Electro Harmonix Microsynth, Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe, Boss tuner, Vintage Fuzz Face, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff, Roger Mayer Octavia Fuzz, Line 6 Echo Park, an Mxr Phase 100, a Vox TimeMachine delay, a Death by Audio Harmonic Transformer, an CAE Line Booster, Dunlop Crybaby, a Boss line-selector, a Boss Digital Delay, and an Mxr Blue Box. He uses a Fender Bandmaster Reverb head or a Fender Dual Showman Reverb into a Marshall 412 Cab and a Vox AC30 30th Anniversary through its Low-Impedance Normal Channel, and also a Fender Blues Deville combo. In Kasabian's video for "Days Are Forgotten" Sergio is seen using a Marshall MA Series amp.
- Kasabian (2004) – rhythm guitar, backing and lead vocals and piano
- Empire (2006) – lead and rhythm guitar, backing and lead vocals
- West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum (2009) – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Velociraptor! (2011) – lead and rhythm guitar, backing vocals, production
- 48:13 (2014) – lead and rhythm guitar, backing and lead vocals, production
With Loose Tapestries:
- Loose Tapestries Presents the Luxury Comedy Tapes (2012) - production, various instruments
- Untitled second album (2014/15)
- "Lazy-I Interview". Retrieved 26 May 2005.
- "Show Preview & Interview: Kasabian @ Showbox Market, Tues. 4/10". Back Beat Seattle. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- [dead link]
- "Kasabian Prefer Their Foreign Fans". Gigwise. 2007-05-10. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- "Kasabian: 'Damon Albarn is a genius' | Orange UK". Web.orange.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- "Music News | Tours, New Albums, Festival News". XFM. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- "Kasabian's Serge: I'm no indie boy". BelfastTelegraph.co.uk. 2011-09-01. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- "NME Xmas Covershoot - Kasabian And Noel Fielding". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- "NME News Kasabian's Serge Pizzorno teams up with Noel Fielding for second series of 'Luxury Comedy'". Nme.Com. 2014-07-10. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- "NME News Kasabian's Serge Pizzorno scores wonder goal during ITV 'Soccer Aid' match - video". Nme.Com. 2012-05-27. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- "Domino | Albums | Beyond Ugly". Dominorecordco.com. Retrieved 2014-08-24.