- See also Silsilay for a 2005 film with a similar title
|Directed by||Yash Chopra|
|Produced by||Yash Chopra|
|Written by||Mrs. Preeti Bedi
|Editing by||Keshav Naidu|
|Distributed by||Yash Raj Films|
|Release dates||29 July 1981|
|Running time||183 mins|
|Box office||70 million (US$1.2 million)|
Silsila is a 1981 Hindi romantic drama filmdirected by Yash Chopra. The film stars Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan, Sanjeev Kumar, Rekha and Kulbhushan Kharbanda, with Shashi Kapoor in a special appearance. It is said to be loosely inspired by the alleged real life love triangle of Amitabh-Jaya-Rekha, which was the most talked about affair back then. On his last birthday, Yash Chopra revealed that he originally wanted to cast Parveen Babi and Smita Patil opposite Bachchan, but after consulting him, he chose to cast Jaya Bhaduri and Rekha in their respective roles.
This was also the last film to feature Rekha with Amitabh Bachchan, putting an end to this popular on-screen pair and their rumored off-screen affair, forever. The film did only average business at the box office, much below than expectations. Over the years, however, it has gained strong cult following and today it is considered as a classic love triangle. The film is remembered for the powerful and everlasting performances of all of its leading characters. Yash Chopra himself considers this film (along with Lamhe), as his most favorite. The Music became a "superhit" upon the release of the film and is still as popular.
Orphaned at very young age, brothers Shekhar Malhotra (Shashi Kapoor) and Amit Malhotra (Amitabh Bachchan) are survivors and lead independent lives with Shekhar being a Squadron Leader with the Indian Air Force, and Amit an emerging writer. Shekhar has fallen in love with lovely Shobha (Jaya Bachchan), while Amit woos attractive Chandni (Rekha). Amit finds professional success as playwright in Delhi with a successful premier and launch in the literati circles. This decisively wins Chandni for Amit, and they share a brief courtship period.
Chandni's parents almost arrange her wedding when they learn of her love for Amit. Both brothers plan to marry together. But Shekhar is killed in air combat against PAF, leaving behind a devastated and pregnant Shobha. Taking pity on Shobha's plight, Amit marries her and writes to Chandni to forget him. This news breaks Chandni's heart, and she goes on to marry Dr. V.K. Anand (Sanjeev Kumar), who is in love with her.
Tragedy strikes once more, and Shobha loses her child in a car accident. With no child to bind them together, Amit and Shobha drift apart. Amit happens to meet Chandni and they secretly rekindle their romance. They meet on the sly, until one day when Chandni accidentally hits a passerby. The police get involved, but Amit manages to hush the matter up. But their meetings will no longer be secret for the police inspector in charge of this accident is none other than Shobha's cousin (played by Kulbhushan Kharbanda), who is determined to expose Amit's affair with Chandni. Soon Amit decides that he can no longer continue this loveless marriage and wishes to reconcile with Chandni. This news shatters Shobha but she does not lose hope. She believes that if her love is true he will return to her. Amit and Chandni leave town to start a new life elsewhere but tragedy strikes. Anand's plane crashes causing both to return to the wreckage site. There Amit is confronted with Shobha who, in an emotional turmoil, reveals that she is expecting his child. There Chandni herself realises her love for her husband. The film ends with a song portraying Amit and Shobha living happily with a message "Love is faith and faith is forever".
- Amitabh Bachchan as Amit Malhotra
- Jaya Bachchan as Shobha Malhotra
- Rekha as Chandni
- Shashi Kapoor as Sqdr. Leader Shekhar Malhotra (Special Appreance)
- Sanjeev Kumar as Dr. V.K. Anand
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda as Inspector Kulbhushan
- Sudha Chopra as Shobha's mother
- Sushma Seth as Actress
The music director was Shiv-Hari, and the lyrics were by Javed Akhtar. The song "Rang Barse Bhige Chunar wali" is said to be one of India's best known folk songs. Its lyrics were by poet Harivansh Rai Bachchan. The song "Dekha Ek Kwaab" was shot in the Keukenhof tulip gardens in The Netherlands and some parts in Pahalgam. The tune for "Neela Aasman" was originally by Shammi and Amit.
|"Dekha Ek Khwab"||Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar|
|"Yeh Kahaan Aa Gaye Hum"||Amitabh Bachchan, Lata Mangeshkar|
|"Rang Barse Bhige Chunar wali"||Amitabh Bachchan|
|"Ladki Hai Ya Shola"||Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar|
|"Sar Se Sarke"||Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar|
|"Neela Aasman" - part 1||Amitabh Bachchan|
|"Neela Aasman" - part 2||Lata Mangeshkar|
|"Jo Tum Todo Piya"||Lata Mangeshkar|
|"Khudse So Waada kiya"||Pamela Chopra|
|"Bahan Jinah Di Pakdiye"||Rani Harban Singh and Party|
Silsila did not do well at the box office, grossing just 70 million (US$1.2 million), but since has achieved a cult status among Indian audiences. In an 1996 interview, director Chopra's wife Pamela Chopra commented on the financial disappointment calling the film a "tad bit extra different".
- "Silsila - Starring Amitabh,Jaya,Rekha,Sashi Silsila's box office, news, reviews, video, pictures, and music soundtrack". Ibosnetwork.com. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- Amitabh Rekha silsila still a hot affair
- Mishra, Vijay (2002). Bollywood cinema: temples of desire. Routledge. p. 153. ISBN 978-0-415-93015-4. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- Silsila: Soundtrack Internet Movie Database.
- "Kuekenhof – Netherlands". Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Movie Locations for Silsila".
- Ganti, Tejaswini (2012). Producing Bollywood: Inside the Contemporary Hindi Film Industry. Duke University Pres. p. 284. ISBN 9780822352136. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- Subhash K Jha 27 June 2011, 11.43am IST (27 June 2011). "Silsila, Lamhe are my favourites: Yash Chopra - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "Exotic and irrational entertainment: Forbidden Love: Silsila and Lamhe". Exoticandirrational.blogspot.in. 9 June 2008. Retrieved 12 October 2012.