Solway Railway Station
Metlink regional rail
Historic station shelter.
|Address||Ngaumutawa Road, Masterton|
|Structure type||Vogel class 6|
|Opened||1 November 1880|
|Closed||13 October 1986 (freight)|
Solway railway station is an urban single-platform railway station in the Wairarapa town of Masterton in New Zealand’s North Island. It is on Ngaumutawa Road, between Hillcrest Street and Judds Road. It is one of three railway stations in Masterton, the others being Masterton and Renall Street.
When the station was opened along with the line to Masterton on 1 November 1880 it had only a shelter and platform. It was originally named Kurupuni and was located south of Masterton. Later, the station was briefly known as Purakau between 1908 and 1912 when it was renamed Solway. The station was never regarded as being of any great importance but did also handle freight until 1986 with customers including the Wairarapa Electric Power Board and a fertiliser company.
A new car park was built at the station in 2001 by the Masterton District Council as part of a regional programme to "Enhance and expand urban public passenger transport facilities and services".
In 2006 it was proposed that the historic Class 6 station shelter shed at Solway be removed to a fenced yard at Carterton Station to make way for a new shelter and the platform improvements. After concern was expressed by local residents the plan was rescinded.
- Metlink. "Text description of fare zone boundaries". Greater Wellington Regional Council. Retrieved 27 November 2007.
- Radley, Matt (14 May 2007). "New Metlink Wairarapa train and Wairarapa station improvements". Greater Wellington Regional Council. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 29 October 2007.
- MOIR, JO (13 June 2007). "Station upgrades on schedule". Wairarapa Times-Age. Retrieved 29 October 2007.
- Cameron, Walter Norman (1976). A Line Of Railway: The Railway Conquest of the Rimutakas. Wellington: New Zealand Railway and Locomotive Society. ISBN 0-908573-00-6.
- Grace, Kevin (30 July 2001). "Current Status of Passenger Transport Infrastructure Projects" (PDF). Passenger Transport Committee. Greater Wellington Regional Council. Retrieved 29 October 2007.
- Brennand, Anthony (10 March 1999). "New Items on the Passenger Transport Infrastructure Priority Lists". Passenger Transport Committee. Greater Wellington. Retrieved 29 October 2007.
- MOIR, JO (13 March 2007). "Solway station to stay where it is". Wairarapa Times-Age. Retrieved 29 October 2007.