Sour Grapes (film)
|Directed by||Larry David|
|Produced by||Laurie Lennard|
|Written by||Larry David|
|Edited by||Priscilla Nedd-Friendly|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|Box office||$123,104 |
The joy of victory is quickly replaced by a fierce disagreement over who deserves what. Richie begins by offering Evan a very small percentage of his winnings. Evan didn't expect anything at first but now he is offended because he provided two-thirds of the money Richie sank into the machine.
A bitter feud develops. Richie, a sneaker designer, hogs all the money and quits his job. Evan, a doctor, is so annoyed that, as a prank, he lets Richie believe he is dying. By the time he reveals the joke, Richie has done something drastic.
The more rattled Evan gets, the more distracted he becomes at work. And even when the cousins come to a tentative truce, everything backfires on them in events that involve girlfriends, relatives and even the homeless.
- Steven Weber as Evan Maxwell
- Craig Bierko as Richie Maxwell
- Viola Harris as Selma Maxwell
- Karen Sillas as Joan
- Robyn Peterman as Roberta
- Matt Keeslar as Danny Pepper
- Jennifer Leigh Warren as Millie
- Orlando Jones as Digby
- John Toles-Bey as Lee
- Deidre Lovejoy as Nurse Wells
- Richard Gant as Det. Crouch
- Philip Baker Hall as Mr. Bell
- Kristin Davis as Riggs
- Larry David as Studio executive / Annoying doctor / Singing bum
Larry David himself has expressed regrets over the film. A poster for the film was put up on the set of David's office for the filming of Curb Your Enthusiasm's pilot episode. David had the poster promptly removed because he got "sick of looking at it" after one show. In a later episode, David's character tells his wife to stop lending people the film, and says he doesn't believe a friend who claimed to have enjoyed the movie, stating she was just trying to be polite.
- "Sour Grapes (1998)". Box Office Mojo. 1998-04-19. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- "The King of Kvetch". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "Sour Grapes Has a 'Seinfeld' Flavor". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "Sour Grapes :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews". Rogerebert.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season One: Pilot, DVD Commentary Track