TORQUE Resource Manager
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: the article needs work badly. (February 2012)|
|Stable release||4.1.0 / 29 June 2012|
|Written in||ANSI C|
|Type||distributed resource manager|
|License||OpenPBS version 2.3 (non-free in DFSG), or TORQUE v2.5+ Software License v1.1|
The TORQUE Resource Manager is a distributed resource manager providing control over batch jobs and distributed compute nodes. Its name stands for Terascale Open-Source Resource and QUEue Manager. Cluster Resources, Inc. describes it as open-source and Debian classifies it as non-free owing to issues with the license. It is a community effort based on the original PBS project and, with more than 1,200 patches, has incorporated significant advances in the areas of scalability, fault tolerance, and features extensions contributed by NCSA, OSC, USC, the US DOE, Sandia, PNNL, UB, TeraGrid, and many other leading-edge HPC organizations.
TORQUE can integrate with the non-commercial Maui Cluster Scheduler or the commercial Moab Workload Manager to improve overall utilization, scheduling and administration on a cluster. TORQUE is described by its developers as open-source software, using the OpenPBS version 2.3 license and as non-free software in the Debian Free Software Guidelines.
TORQUE provides enhancements over standard OpenPBS in the following areas:
- Fault Tolerance
- Additional failure conditions checked/handled
- Node health check script support
- Scheduling Interface
- Extended query interface providing the scheduler with additional and more accurate information
- Extended control interface allowing the scheduler increased control over job behavior and attributes
- Allows the collection of statistics for completed jobs
- Significantly improved server to MOM communication model
- Ability to handle larger clusters (over 15 TF/2,500 processors)
- Ability to handle larger jobs (over 2000 processors)
- Ability to support larger server messages
- Extensive logging additions
- More human readable logging (i.e. no more 'error 15038 on command 42')
- Job Scheduler and Batch Queuing for Clusters
- Open Source Cluster Application Resources (OSCAR)
- Maui Cluster Scheduler
- Beowulf cluster
- Veridian Information Solutions, Inc. (2000). "OpenPBS (Portable Batch System) v2.3 Software License". Cluster Resources, Inc. Archived from the original on 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Torque resource manager". Cluster Resources, Inc. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "The DFSG and Software Licenses - Licenses that are DFSG-incompatible". Debian. 2011-03-27. Archived from the original on 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- TORQUE resource manager, Garrick Staples, SC '06: Proceedings of the 2006 ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing, ISBN 0-7695-2700-0