The Count of Monte Cristo (musical)
|The Count of Monte Cristo|
Concept Album Artwork
|Basis||Novel The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas|
|Productions||2009 St. Gallen
The Count of Monte Cristo is a musical based on the famed novel of the same name. The music is by Frank Wildhorn and the lyrics and book are by Jack Murphy. The world premiere (in German as Der Graf von Monte Christo) was on March 14, 2009, in the Theater St. Gallen, St. Gallen, Switzerland. Andreas Gergen was the director, with Thomas Borchert starring as The Count. The role of Mercédès was played by Sophie Berner. A concept recording was released on December 12, 2008, starring several European theatrical superstars and Brandi Burkhardt, amongst others. The recording went platinum.
The musical had a New York City workshop in November 2008, starring Brandi Burkhardt, James Barbour, Natalie Toro, Gregg Edelmann and several others from the Broadway production of A Tale of Two Cities, and many known Wildhorn-favourites.
On April 21, 2010, the show premiered in Seoul, Korea.
No English-language premiere, despite the concept recording in English, has been announced.
- 2008 Original Concept Cast Recording (Highlights)
- 2009 Original St. Gallen Cast Recording (Highlights)
- 2010 Original Korean Cast Recording (Highlights with Alternate Cast versions on "I Will Be There" and "Hell To Your Doorstep")
- Gans, Andrew.Borchert to Star in World Premiere of Wildhorn's Count of Monte Cristo", playbill.com, February 18, 2009
- Gans, Andrew and Jones, Kenneth."Tale of Two Cities' Barbour and Burkhardt Cast in Monte Cristo Workshop", playbill.com, November 6, 2008