The Monkey King (film)
|The Monkey King|
|Mandarin||Dà Nào Tiān Gōng|
|Cantonese||Daai6 Naau6 Tin1 Gung1|
|Directed by||Cheang Pou-soi|
|Screenplay by||Edmond Wong
|Story by||Wu Cheng'en|
Daniel L. Symmes
Mandarin Films Ltd.
|Distributed by||Mandarin Films Distribution Co. Ltd.|
|Running time||90 minutes|
|Budget||400 million yuan (approximately 60 million USD)|
The Monkey King is an upcoming Chinese-Hong Kong film directed by Cheang Pou-soi and starring Donnie Yen as the titular protagonist. Yen also serves as the film's action director. Production began in Beijing on 18 October 2010 and was filmed in IMAX 3D. The plot is based on an episode of the shenmo fantasy novel Journey to the West, a Chinese literary classic written in the Ming Dynasty. It will be released on 31 January 2014.
- Donnie Yen as Sun Wukong, the Monkey King
- Chow Yun-fat as the Jade Emperor
- Aaron Kwok as Bull Demon King
- Joe Chen as Princess Iron Fan
- Peter Ho as Erlang Shen
- Kelly Chen as Guan Yin
- Zhang Zilin as Nüwa
- Gigi Leung as Chang'e
- Xia Zitong as the Nine-tailed Vixen
- Louis Fan as Juling Shen
- Eddie Cheung as Li Jing, the Pagoda-wielding Heavenly King
- Calvin Cheng as Nezha
- Him Law as Muzha
- Liu Hua as the Dragon King of the East Sea
- Li Ching as the Green-haired Monkey King
- Irene Wang as Fairy Caiyun
- Hai Yitian as Subhuti
- Cathy Leung as Fairy Caixia
- Monica Mok
- Liu Ye
- Wang Xizhi
When the film was first announced, both Jet Li and Donnie Yen were eyed for a role. On 18 May 2010, Yen was confirmed to be playing the title role of the Monkey King. The film was originally budgeted at 300 million yuan but later was raised to 400 million yuan. Filmko and Mandarin Films share in a 65% and 35% split the production cost. Later, it was announced Chow Yun-fat and Aaron Kwok will be playing the Jade Emperor and Bull Demon King respectively. Kwok's role is said to be breaking traditions for being handsome, stylish and fighting for love. Additional cast members were later announced including Cecilia Cheung, Gigi Leung, Kelly Chen, Peter Ho, Joe Chen and Liu Ye. On 17 May 2011, Zhang Zilin, winner of Miss World 2007, confirmed that she joined the film, playing the role of Nüwa, replacing Cecilia Cheung, who was originally announced in the role. However, Zhang claimed that she never heard that Cheung was to be in the film.
For the 3-D shoot, Filmko recruited Hollywood talents. The crew includes David Ebner (Alice in Wonderland, Spider-Man 3), who will serve as visual effects supervisor for the film and Shaun Smith (The Forbidden Kingdom, 300, I Am Legend) who will be the special make-up supervisor.
The original poster released had a release date of February 2012, but it was postponed. Filmko and Global Star Productions has its eyes on a RMB500 million (US$88 million) box office target in China. Later it was announced that it would be released on 7 July 2012, on 4 July 2013, and on 20 November 2013.
- "The Monkey King Starts Wreaking Havoc - Wu-Jing.org".
- "Donnie Yen to Transform Himself into The Monkey King - Wu-Jing.org".
- Stephen Cremin (2013-11-07). "Mega-Vision close deals on Vegas to Macau". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Donnie Yen, Aaron Kwok Join Cast of 'The Monkey King'".
- "Soi Cheang Tapped To Direct 3D MONKEY KING! Donnie Yen And Jet Li Eyed Up For Key Roles!".
- "Donnie Yen is The Monkey King".
- Chu, Karen (31 October 2010). "No Monkey Business as Competing Versions of Chinese Legend Go into Production". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "HKSAR No Top 10 Box Office: [2010.10.12] DONNIE YEN, AARON KWOK AND CHOW YUN FAT STAR IN MONKEY KING".
- "The Monkey King Announces New Cast Members".
- "張梓琳《大鬧天宮》演女媧 從未聽說張柏芝出演".
- "Filmko recruits Hollywood talents for 3D Monkey King shoot".
- "Monkey King gets 3-D IMAX treatment".
- "Monkey King will be the first Chinese 3D blockbuster".