The Spectrum (newspaper)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2012)|
|Type||Thrice-weekly (MWF) newspaper|
|Owner(s)||The Spectrum Student Periodical, Incorporated|
|Headquarters||Buffalo, New York, U.S.|
The Spectrum began publishing in 1950 and has since become the largest student-run newspaper in the SUNY state school system. The paper is located at 132 Student Union at the University at Buffalo. It is printed at an off-site press but distributed to multiple areas on the university's North and South campuses. New editions are distributed every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during the fall and spring school semesters. Each issue prints 7,000 copies that are read by approximately 21,000 people. The paper employs over 50 UB students, as well as members of the Western New York community.
The Spectrum is financially independent and supports itself with print and online advertising. Much like a major newspaper, its sections are divided into life and arts, sports, local and national news, photo journalism, and the editorial page.
Because The Spectrum is a student-run newspaper, any undergraduate is eligible to register for the newspaper and its corresponding English courses, regardless of intended major.
Students who choose to write for the paper are trained in Associated Press-style writing, editing and newspaper layout. Additionally, all writers and editors are trained in journalism ethics.
The Spectrum is advised by Jody Biehl, director of the school's Journalism Certificate Program.
Editors in Chief:
- 2013-2014: Aaron Mansfield
- 2012-2013: Aaron Mansfield
- 2011-2012: Matthew Parrino
- 2010-2011: Andrew Wiktor
- 2009-2010: Stephen Marth
- 2008-2009: Stephanie Sciandra
- 2007-2008: Silas Rader
- 2006-2007: Robert Pape
- 2005-2006: Jeremy G. Burton
- 2004-2005: George Zornick
- 2003-2004: Erin Shultz
- 2002-2003: Sara Paulson
- 1991-1992: Ian Aronson
- 1990-1991: Chandler Lewis
- 1988-1990: Bill Sheridan
- 1970-1971 Jo-Ann Armao
- 1969-1970 James Brennan
- 1968-1969 Linda Hanley
- Tom Toles, cartoonist (The Washington Post)
- Howard Kurtz, author and journalist (CNN, The Daily Beast)
- Jo-Ann Armao, formerly assistant managing editor for metro news and now editorial writer at The Washington Post 
- Harvy Lipman (b.1950 - d.2014), senior writer and columnist at The Record in northern New Jersey.
- The Spectrum (official site)
|This article about a New York newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|