Tom Hamilton (broadcaster)
Tom Hamilton (born 1956), a native of Waterloo, Wisconsin, is the chief radio announcer for the Cleveland Indians Major League Baseball team on WTAM, and during the off season, serves as a college basketball commentator for The Big Ten Network.
He was paired with Indians legend Herb Score until 1997, when Score retired after 30 seasons. Hamilton became chief play by play announcer in the 1998 season, a position he still holds today. Because of his longevity and popularity, he is now considered to be the "voice of the Tribe."
In the offseason, Hamilton calls college basketball games (usually Ohio State games) for the Big Ten Network. Prior to the founding of the Big Ten Network, he served in the same capacity for ESPN Plus.
The Indians honored "Hammy" with a talking Tom Hamilton bobblehead night in 2008.
Also, on July 31, 2009, the Indians celebrated his 20th season with the Tribe with a post-game fireworks show featuring his best calls played in the background.
Broadcasting associates with the Indians
- Herb Score, 1990–1997
- Mike Hegan, 1998–2011
- Dave Nelson, 1998-1999*
- Matt Underwood, 2000-2006*
- Jim Rosenhaus, 2010–present*
(*) - Nelson, and later Underwood joined Hamilton and Hegan in a three-man booth from 1998–2007, when the Indians then went to a two man booth. Rosenhaus, Hamilton and Hegan formed a three-man team for the 2010 and 2011 seasons.
- University of Wisconsin–Madison—football games
- ABC Radio
- Appleton Foxes—minor league baseball games
- University of Colorado—basketball games
- Columbus Clippers—minor league baseball games
- And we're underway at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario! - after the first pitch of an Indians home game (during away games, Hamilton will occasionally say And we're under way at (opposing team's ballpark) or (from opposing team's city).
- Swing and a drive, waaaay back & gone!! or Swung on and belted! To deep ____(left/center/right), awaaaay back! waaaay outta here!! or "He's outta room! And we're outta here!" (such as when Giambi hits a walk off against the white sox in 9-24-2013 game)
- How about that! - after something unusual or exciting happens.
- SWUNG ON AND MISSED! - for a swinging strikeout by an Indians pitcher.
- Juuust a bit (outside/inside) - when a close pitch by an Indians pitcher is called for a ball.
- Ballgame! - after the final out of an Indians win.
- Mm mm mm - after an Indians screw-up.
- STRIKE THREE CALLED! - after an Indians pitcher strikes out a batter looking.
- Triple - a 3 point shot (when doing college basketball games)