United Nations Peace Plaza (Independence, Missouri)
The United Nations Peace Plaza in Independence, Missouri was unveiled on October 27, 1997, formally dedicated by U.N. General Secretary Kofi Annan on April 25, 2003, and is described by its creators as "the only memorial in the world to those persons serving in the Peacekeeping Forces of the United Nations..."  The 12.5-foot statue is named "Girl with Dove" by its sculptor Tom Corbin and in 2003, a four-foot miniature was gifted to the United Nations Headquarters in New York City.
On 11 December 2006, after his final speech as Secretary-General, delivered at the Truman Presidential Library in Independence, Missouri, Mr. Annan visited the Peace Plaza for a wreath-laying ceremony.
- "...Peace Plaza dedicatory ceremony in Independence April 25, 2003..." Quickview of July, 2004 UNA-GCK newsletter report.
- Partial explanation of the Plaza and Statue at website of "United Nations Association - Greater Kansas City Chapter."(UNA-GKC)
- "Artist and Biography of Tom Corbin" lists the U.N. Peace Plaza as one of his works.
- "Tom Corbin: The Inevitable Artist" by Beverly Bellinger Biography of the sculptor Tom Corbin published in 2006, previewed at Amazon.Com
- "Expedite! Ships statue for United Nations Quickview of July, 2004 UNA-GCK newsletter report.
- Audio of Annan's "Farewell Address" December 11, 2006 at trumanlibrary.org
- Text of December 11, 2006 speech at United Nations official website
- Annan pays tribute at U.N. Peace Plaza Robert Hite, The Examiner, December 12, 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to United Nations Peace Plaza (Independence, Missouri).|
- List of Peace Monuments in central U.S. States: United Nations Peace Plaza "...Near auditorum where President Truman declared the creation of the United Nations. Maintained by Community of Christ (Formerly RLDS Church)..."
- U.N. Association marks 60 years of peacekeeping" - Jun 2, 2008 local newspaper report includes photograph of wreath-laying at the site.
- "Unique treasure in Independence" - guest columnist James Everett lauds the U.N. Peace Plaza in the Examiner newspaper, February 13, 2009.
- Wikimapia Aerial view of the site
- "Girl With Dove" replica at a St. Joseph, Missouri public library. (source: "Allied Arts Council" website).
- Girl with Dove | Corbin Bronze