United States elections, 1980
The Republicans also won control of the United States Senate for the first time in 28 years by picking up 12 seats. They gained 34 seats in the House, but not enough to take the majority. They also won four governorships.
The major issues during this election that hurt Carter and the Democrats included the worsening U.S. economy and the Iran hostage crisis. The wins by Reagan and the Republicans marked the beginning of what is popularly called the "Reagan Revolution."
- United States presidential election, 1980
- United States House of Representatives elections, 1980
- United States Senate elections, 1980
- United States gubernatorial elections, 1980
- Jerry Lanson (2008-11-06). "A historic victory. A changed nation. Now, can Obama deliver?". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 2008-11-05.