White Label ABMs in Canada
White Label ABMs in Canada provide alternative source of cash dispensing vis-à-vis traditional automatic banking machines (ABMs) from banks.
In Canada, the major financial institutions have their own branded ABMs located throughout the country. These ABMs prominently display the logo of the banks. "White label" or "no name" ABMs, which are usually located in non-traditional places, display no major bank labels on the actual machine. Before 1997, only banks and other deposit taking financial institutions were allowed to be part of the Interac network. After 1997, independent operators were allowed to operate ABMs, not owned by major financial institutions.
With a network of over 15,000 units, The NRT Technology Corporation is the largest processor of non-bank ABMs in Canada, handling more than 50 million transactions annually.
White label fees
Customers usually pay an added fee to use these ABMs, which can be split between the private provider and the owner of the property hosting the machine.
According to the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC), fees for using a "white-label" ATM can add up to over $6.00 per transaction. The same agency states that private (white-label) operators are "not required to adhere to a minimum or maximum limit", meaning that the fee amount is up to the operator. The operator is obliged, however, to disclose the fee to be charged and give the consumer the option of cancelling the transaction.
CIBC has been criticized for creating a wholly owned subsidiary white label company, "Ready Cash". While many CIBC customers have free access to transactions with official CIBC accounts, as Ready Cash is not a CIBC bank, they are charged twice, once by Ready Cash and once by CIBC.
Local small establishment retailers such as gas stations, bars/pubs, and restaurants are common for putting in the private White Label ATM's to receive a fee for each transaction made at the ATM. Most white-label ATM's charge a minimum C$1.50 for the use of the machine with a percentage of that going to the retailer depending of their involvement with the ATM. The C$1.50 is above and beyond what the cardholders financial institution may charge.
Notification of fees
A warning message will appear at some point prior to accepting to withdraw funds, advising the cardholder what the cost of the service is. There is always an opt out function to cancel the transaction and avoid paying the fees.
Private Operators, also known as ISOs (Independent Sales Organizations) in Canada include:
- ATM Canada Inc. - Since 1997
- ATM Ontario inc. - http://www.atmontario.ca
- ATM Systems Ltd. of Toronto - 2000 http://www.atm4canada.com
- Cardtronics Canada http://www.cardtronics.com/ca/en
- Canada Cash ATM's Ltd. in Atlantic Canada
- Cashbin ATM's in Atlantic Canada - 2000
- ClearCard is a National service provider
- Direct Cash ATM of Calgary AB - 1998
- Flex Cash ATMS Inc.
- Flex-Touch Canada Inc. - Internationales, Services, Leasing, Processing, Wireless Solutions
- Frisco-ATMS (owned by Stanley Black & Decker) of Montreal QC - 1997
- Inkas ATMs (now owned by DirectCash)
- King Cash Corp. of Edmonton AB - 2001
- Laser Cash owned by Brinks (previously owned by Threshold Financial
- Money Plus Express/ Money Plus Xpress of Toronto - 2011
- ViaCash of Barrie ON
Other Related ATM Processing Companies:
- Calypso Canada of Calgary (now owned by TNS )
- DC BANK DirectCash
- NRT Technology Corp. of Toronto - since 1997
- Open Solutions of Toronto
- "About Us - NRT Technology Corp. - Gaming and casino solutions". Nrtpos.com. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "CBC Marketplace: ATM Fees". Cbc.ca. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- Canada. "ATM Machine Company in Toronto, Ontario". ATM Canada Inc. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "ClearCard - Canada's ATM Service Network". Clearcard.ca. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- [dead link]
- "Flex-Touch Canada Inc". Flextouch.ca. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Welcome to Frisco-ATMS". Friscoatms.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "King Cash Corporation - Edmonton, Alberta's leading full service ATM company". Kingcash.ca. 2011-03-07. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- [dead link]
- "VIA Cash homepage". Viacash.ca. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "NRT - Innovative Cash Handling Solutions and Products". Nrtpos.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.