World Information Society Day
The day had previously been known as World Telecommunication Day to commemorate the founding of the International Telecommunication Union in 17 May 1865. It was instituted by the Plenipotentiary Conference in Malaga-Torremolinos in 1973.
World Information Society Day 
In November 2005, the World Summit on the Information Society called upon the UN General Assembly to declare 17 May as World Information Society Day to focus on the importance of ICT and the wide range of issues related to the Information Society raised by WSIS. The General Assembly adopted a resolution (A/RES/60/252) in March 2006 stipulating that World Information Society Day shall be celebrated every year on 17 May. The first World Information Society Day took place on Wednesday, 17 May 2006.
World Telecommunication and Information Society Day 
In November 2006, the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference in Antalya, Turkey, decided to celebrate both events on 17 May as World Telecommunication and Information Society Day. The updated Resolution 68 invites Member States and Sector Members to celebrate the day annually by organizing appropriate national programmes with a view to:
- stimulating reflection and exchanges of ideas on the theme adopted by the Council
- debating the various aspects of the theme with all partners in society
- formulating a report reflecting national discussions on the issues underlying the theme, to be fed back to ITU and the rest of its membership
See also 
- System Administrator Appreciation Day
- Programmers' Day
- Testers' Day
- ITU Global Cybersecurity Agenda
- Digital Society Day, each 17 October in India
- United Nations General Assembly Resolution 252 session 60 page 3 on 27 March 2006 (retrieved 2007-09-12)
- "World Telecommunication Day 2006: Promoting Global Cybersecurity". 28 March 2006.
- "In message for world information society day, Secretary-General calls for International countermeasure to enhance cybersecurity". 26 April 2006.
|This United Nations-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|