Schiff wrote numerous books, including Israel's Lebanon War and Intifada, both with Ehud Ya'ari, and A History of the Israeli Army: 1874 to the Present. He also served as a military correspondent in Vietnam, the Soviet Union, Cyprus and Ethiopia. Schiff won several prizes, including the Sokolov Journalism Prize, the Amos Lev Prize, and the Sarah Reichenstein Prize.
He joined the Haaretz staff in 1955 and became senior associate of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in 1984. He was the chairman of the Military Writers Association, a fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy and an Isaac and Mildred Brochstein Fellow in Peace and Security at the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University.
Published works 
- Wings over Suez (the Israeli Air Force during the War of Attrition), 1970.
- October Earthquake (1973 Yom Kippur War)
- War of Deception (1982 Lebanon War), 1984.
- Intifada (First Intifada), 1990.
- A History of the Israeli Army: 1874 to the Present
- Israel's War with Iran in: Foreign Affairs 85 (November-December 2006)
- Haaretz profile
- BBC-TV obit
- Haaretz obit
- IHT.com obit