48th Air Transport Squadron
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)|
|48th Air Transport Squadron|
Emblem of the 48th Air Transport Squadron
|Branch||United States Air Force|
The 48th Air Transport Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last was assigned to the 1502d Air Transport Wing, Military Air Transport Service, stationed at Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii. It was inactivated on 25 June 1965.
Established in 1948 as a C-54 transport squadron. Upgraded to C-97 and C-124 long distance intercontinental transports. Flew over MATS Pacific routes from Hawaii until inactivated in 1965 with the phaseout of the C-124.
- Established as 2d Air Transport Squadron, 1 Jun 1948
- Redesignated: 1264th Air Transport Squadron, 1 Jun 1949
- Redesignated: 48th Air Transport Squadron, 20 Jul 1952
- Disbanded on: 25 Jun 1965
- 531st Air Transport Group, 1 Jun 1948
- 1500th Air Transport Wing, 1 Jun 1949
- 1502d Air Transport Wing, 1 Jul 1955-20 Jul 1952
- Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii, 1 Jun 1948-25 Jun 1965
- Mueller, Robert, Air Force Bases Volume I, Active Air Force Bases Within the United States of America on 17 September 1982, Office of Air Force History, 1989