From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||960s 970s 980s – 990s – 1000s 1010s 1020s|
|Years:||996 997 998 – 999 – 1000 1001 1002|
- Silesia is incorporated into territory ruled by Boleslaus I of Poland.
- The Orsay commune is founded.
- April 2 – Gerbert of Aurillac becomes Pope Silvester II and succeeds Pope Gregory V as the 139th pope.
- Sigmundur Brestisson introduces Christianity in the Faroe Islands.
- Christianity is adopted in Iceland.
- February 7 – Boleslaus II, Duke of Bohemia
- February 18 – Pope Gregory V (b. c. 972)
- December 16 – Saint Adelaide of Italy (b. 931)
- December – Elisabeth of Vendôme, wife of Fulk III of Anjou (aka Fulk the Black)
- Maredudd ab Owain, King of Gwynedd