Abdul Aziz (cricketer)
|Full name||Abdul Aziz|
Karachi, Sind, British Raj
|Died||17 January 1959 (aged 17–18)
Karachi, Sind, Pakistan
|Batting style||Right hand batsman|
|Domestic team information|
|First-class debut||11 October 1957 Karachi C v Sind A|
|Last First-class||16 January 1959
Karachi v Pakistan Combined Services
|Source: CricketArchive, 21 August 2008|
Abdul Aziz (Urdu: عبدالعزیز), (1941−17 January 1959) was a Pakistani cricketer who was born, and died, in Karachi, Sind  A wicket keeper and opening batsman, Aziz played eight first-class matches for Karachi, before he died after being struck by a cricket ball. He was a student at S. M. College and worked for the Pakistan State Bank.
Whilst batting in the first-innings of the Quaid-e-Azam final against Pakistan Combined Services, Aziz was struck over the heart by a slow off break from Dildwar Awan [sic]. While preparing to receive the next ball, Aziz fell to the ground and never regained consciousness, dying en route to hospital. It is believed the blow aggravated an existing undiagnosed heart condition. A player who does not bat in an innings is recorded in the scorecard as "absent"; Aziz is recorded as "absent" in the second innings, with a footnote explaining he was hurt but died.
Aziz's death was the third instance of the death of a cricketer during a first-class cricket match, succeeding those of Maurice Nichol and Charlie Bull in the thirties. George Summers died in 1870 of a head injury sustained in a match, but he died four days after it.
- Became part of Pakistan in 1947
- Haigh, Gideon ed. (2006). Peter, The Lord's Cat. London: Aurum Press. p. 16. ISBN 1-84513-163-0.
Extract from Wisden Cricketers' Almanack, 1959 Obituaries (requires registration). Published in 1960.
- Karachi v Combined Services in 1958/59 scorecard, 1959-01-21, CricketArchive. Retrieved on 2014-11-28. "... hit in the chest from ball from Dildar Awan and collapsed and died on the way to hospital."
- Abdul Kadir profile, CricketArchive. Retrieved on 2008-08-21
- Abdur Rasheed profile, CricketArchive. Retrieved on 2008-08-21
- Haigh, Gideon ed. (2006). "Aziz, Abdul" in Peter, the Lord's Cat. London, Aurum Press. ISBN 1-84513-163-0