Abdul Aziz (cricketer)
|Full name||Abdul Aziz|
Karachi, Sind, British Raj
|Died||17 January 1959 (aged 17–18)
Karachi, Sind, Pakistan
|Batting style||Right hand batsman|
|Domestic team information|
|First-class debut||11 October 1957 Karachi C v Sind A|
|Last First-class||16 January 1959
Karachi v Pakistan Combined Services
|Source: CricketArchive, 21 August 2008|
Abdul Aziz (born 1941, Karachi, Sind and died 17 January 1959, aged 17, Karachi) was a Pakistani cricketer. A wicket keeper and opening batsman, Abdul Aziz played eight first-class matches for Karachi, before he died after being struck by a ball. He was a student at S. M. College and worked for the Pakistan State Bank.
Whilst batting in the first-innings of the Quaid-e-Azam final against Pakistan Combined Services, Aziz was struck over the heart by a slow off break from Dildwar Awan [sic]. While preparing to receive the next ball, Aziz fell to the ground and never regained consciousness, dying en route to hospital. It is believed the blow aggravated an existing undiagnosed heart condition. A player who does not bat in an innings is recorded in the scorecard as "absent"; in some scorecards, Aziz is recorded as "absent dead" in the second innings.
Aziz's death was the third instance of the death of a cricketer during a first-class cricket match, succeeding those of Maurice Nichol and Charlie Bull in the thirties. George Summers died in 1870 of a head injury sustained in a match, but he died four days after it.
- Became part of Pakistan in 1947
- Haigh, Gideon ed. (2006). Peter, The Lord's Cat. London: Aurum Press. p. 16. ISBN 1-84513-163-0.
Extract from Wisden Cricketers' Almanack, 1959 Obituaries (requires registration). Published in 1960.
- Karachi v Combined Services in 1958/59 scorecard, 1959-01-21, CricketArchive. Retrieved on 2008-08-21.
- Abdul Kadir profile, CricketArchive. Retrieved on 2008-08-21
- Abdur Rasheed profile, CricketArchive. Retrieved on 2008-08-21
- Haigh, Gideon ed. (2006). "Aziz, Abdul" in Peter, the Lord's Cat. London, Aurum Press. ISBN 1-84513-163-0