Abul Khair Kashfi
|Abul Khair Kashfi|
|Born||19 February 1932
Kanpur, British India
|Died||15 May 2008
|Fields||Urdu literature and Linguistics|
|Institutions||University of Karachi|
|Alma mater||University of Karachi, Columbia University, NY|
|Doctoral advisor||Abul Lais Siddiqui|
|Doctoral students||Tahira Nighat|
|Known for||Urdu literature and Linguistics|
He remained associated with the University of Karachi as Professor and Chairman in the Department of Urdu from 1958 to 1994. He was also a Visiting Professor at the Osaka University of Foreign Studies, Japan. After retirement Kashfi devoted his time to writing, guiding research, public speaking and media appearances.
Kashfi earned M.A. and Ph.D degrees in Urdu from the University of Karachi in 1952 and 1971 respectively. The title of his doctoral dissertation was "The Historical and Political background of Urdu Poetry from 1707 to 1857 A.C." He also earned a master's degree in Teaching of English as a Second Language from Teachers' College, Columbia University, in 1968.
His publications include:
- Hayat-e-Muhammadi: Quran-e-Majeed Ke Aaine Mayn ("The Life of Muhammad in the Mirror of the Qur’an"), Dada Bhai Foundation, Karachi.
- Urdu Sha’iri Ka Siyasi Aur Tarikhi Pasmanzar ("The Political and Historical Background of Urdu Poetry"), Adabi Publishers, Karachi.
- Hamare Ahed Ka Adab Aur Adeeb, Qamar Kitab Ghar, Karachi.
- Jadeed Urdu Adab Ke Do Tanqecdi Jaezay ("Two Critical Studies of Modern Urdu Literarture"), Urdu Academy Sind, Karaclii.
- Hamare Adabi Aur Lisani Masail ("Our Literary and Linguistic Problems"), Majlis-e-Matbuaat-o-Tahqiqaat-e-Urdu, Karachi.
- Yeh Log Bhi Ghazab Thay, Feroze Sons Lahore.
- Ghalib Ki Cheh Ghazlen ("Six Ghazals of Ghalib"), Urdu Academy Sindh, Karachi.
- Dawood Literary Award (1975), awarded for his book Urdu Sha’iri Ka Siyasi Aur Tarikhi Pasmanzar.
- National Seerat Award (1991), awarded for his book Hayat-e-Muhammadi - Quran-e-Majeed Ke Aaine Mayn by the Government of Pakistan
- Nishan-e-Azmat Award (1991)
- Quaid-e-Azam Adbi Award (1993)
|This article on a Pakistani linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Pakistani journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|