Aby is a village in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated approximately 30 miles (48 km) east from the city and county town of Lincoln, and 8 miles (13 km) south-east from Louth. Aby is part of the civil parish of Aby with Greenfield.
The village's name is of Old Norse origin, and means "village on a river" (Old Norse á, river, and býr, village). The villages of Åby in Sweden and Aaby in Denmark have names of identical origin and meaning.
Aby’s 13th-century All Saints Church fell into disrepair and was demolished by Sir Henry Vane in 1660. The stone was removed to Belleau for use on the Manor House. In 1888 a pitch pine Chapel was erected on the original site, but all that remains today is the churchyard.
Aby railway station opened in neighbouring Claythorpe in 1848, and closed in 1961. Before the railway line was closed, the village had the distinction of the shortest station name on the British network.
Five miles south of Aby in Alford, there is the Alford Manor House Museum. The Claythorpe Watermill and Wildfowl Gardens are in Claythorpe, less than a mile away. Church Farm Museum is located in nearby Skegness. Bolingbroke Castle is also nearby in Old Bolingbroke.
||Muckton Authorpe Louth||Claythorpe Tothill Great Carlton||Withern Strubby Mablethorpe|
|Belleau Walmsgate Wragby||Saleby Thoresthorpe Sandilands|
|South Thoresby Swaby Horncastle||Haugh Ulceby Partney||Greenfield Alford Bilsby|
- "Village Life". Lincolnshire County Council. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Aby Station". PastScape. English Heritage. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Wesleyan Methodist Chapel". PastScape. English Heritage. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- [dead link]"The Aby Cofe Primary School". ukvillages.co.uk. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Alford Manor House Museum". ukvillages.co.uk. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Claythorpe Watermill and Windfowl Gardens". ukvillages.co.uk. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Church Farm Museum". ukvillages.co.uk. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Bolingbroke Castle". ukvillages.co.uk. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aby.|