Kaabour, January 2014
|Born||July 9, 1955|
|Occupations||Singer, Songwriter, Actor.|
|Years active||1976 – present|
Ahmad Kaabour (Arabic: أحمد قعبور; b. July 9, 1955, Beirut, Lebanon) is a renowned Lebanese singer, songwriter, music composer and actor. He is perhaps best known for his song Ounadikom which he composed in 1975 upon the outbreak of the Lebanese civil war.
Ahmad Kaabour was born on 9 July 1955 in Beirut, Lebanon to Mahmoud Kaabour and Fatima Al-Ghoul. Ahmad and his siblings grew up in the Basta area of Beirut before moving to Al-Horsh neighbourhood. His father Mahmoud (aka Al-Rasheedi) was a prominent violinst who played along the biggest musicians of the time. His father's work cultivated his musical background alongside other influences.
Kaabour is one of Lebanon's veteran singers and is a prominent figure in the Middle East. He is best known for his song Ounadikom ("I Call Out To You"), based on a poem written by Tawfiq Ziad. He composed the song at the age of 19 in 1975 with the outbreak of the Lebanese Civil War, and his musical endeavors have continued ever since.
Early on in his career, he produced a body of work dedicated to Palestine and its people, which evolved to encompass issues concerning his home country Lebanon and its struggles. His music portrays his belief in the power of music in shedding light on humanitarian causes, and its ability to make a difference. He has released six studio albums to date, and continues to produce music for children's theater, television, film and other media.
Kaabour started his career as an actor by taking roles in several plays during the 70s and 80s, as in "Shi Fashil" with Ziad Rahbani in 1983. Later on he appeared "Nagi El Ali" alongside Nour El Sharif in 1991. He made his international film debut playing the featured role of Wadie Haddad in the historical epic Carlos, which premiered at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival.
- Ounadikom (1976)
- Nehna El Nas
- Ouandikom (1996 Re-release)
- Sawton A'ali (2002)
- Ounadikom (2004 Re-release)
- Baddi Ghanni Lannas (2010)
- Ramadaniyat Ahmad Kaabour (2011)
- Ahmad Kaabour yoghanni Omar El Z'inni (2011)
- "Charity Dinner to Raise Fund for Needy Al Quds University Students". WAM (Emirates News Agency). 19 April 2009. Retrieved 31 May 2010.
- "La Palestine dans les textes: Les poètes en musique" (in French). Le Courrier. 21 October 2009. Retrieved 31 May 2010.
- "Ounadikom (Je vous appelle)" (in French). The International Solidarity Movement. 17 April 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- Mackenzie, James (24 May 2010). "Cannes festival screens epic French film based on 'Carlos the Jackal'". Daily Star. Archived from the original on 30 May 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2010.
- Leffler, Rebecca (19 April 2010). "Olivier Assayas' 'Carlos' selected for Cannes". Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 26 April 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2010.[dead link]