Air sparging, also known as in situ air stripping and in situ volatilization is an in situ remediation technique, used for the treatment of saturated soils and groundwater contaminated by volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like petroleum hydrocarbons which is a widespread problem for the ground water and soil health.
The subsurface contaminant remediation technique involves the injection of pressurized air into contaminated ground water enabling the hydrocarbons to change its state from dissolved to vapor state. The air is then sent to the vacuum extraction systems to remove the contaminants.
- "Air Sparging". CPEO.
- Johnson et al, R.L. (Nov 1993). "An Overview of In Situ Air Sparging". Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation 13 (4). John Wiley & Sons, Inc. pp. 127–135. doi:10.1111/j.1745-6592.1993.tb00456.x.
- Redddy, Krishna R.; A. Adams, Jeffrey. "Cleanup of Chemical Spills Using Air Sparging".
- Di Julio, S. S.; Drucker, A. S. "Air-Sparging Remediation: A Study on Heterogeneity and Air Mobility Reduction". Journal of Hazardous Substance Research 3. Kansas State University.
- "Technology Overview Report". Ground-Water Remediation Technologies Analysis Center. Oct 1996.
- "Air Sparging". Water and Soil Bio-Remediation.
- Reddy, Krishna R.; Tekola, Luesgald (2004). "Remediation of DNAPL source zones in groundwater using air sparging". Land Contamination & Reclamation. 12(2). EPP Publications Ltd.
- Bass et al, David H. "Performance of air sparging systems: a review of case studies". Journal of Hazardous Materials 72 (2–3). Elsevier. pp. 101–119. Retrieved 25 Feb 2000.
- "Air Sparging Equipment Applications". Enviro-Equipment, Inc, Environmental Equipment & Supplies: Rental, Sales, Service & Repair.
- Ji et al, Wei (Nov 1993). "Laboratory Study of Air Sparging: Air Flow Visualization". Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation 13 (4). Wiley Online Library. pp. 115–126. doi:10.1111/j.1745-6592.1993.tb00455.x.
- "A Citizen’s Guide to Soil Vapor Extraction and Air Sparging". EPA, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response. Sep 2012.
- Suthersan, Suthan S. (1999). "In Situ Air Sparging". Remediation engineering : design concepts. CRC Press LLC.
- "Underground Storage Tanks". U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- "Air Sparging: Savior of Ground Water Remediations or just Blowing Bubbles in the Bath Tub?". Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation 13 (4). Nov 1993. pp. 87–91.
- Ji, Wei, et al. "Laboratory study of air sparging: Air flow visualization." Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation 13.4 (1993): 115-126.
- Marley, Michael C., David J. Hazebrouck, and Matthew T. Walsh. "The application of in situ air sparging as an innovative soils and ground water remediation technology." Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation 12.2 (1992): 137-145.
- Johnson, Richard L., et al. "An overview of in situ air sparging." Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation 13.4 (1993): 127-135.
- Cabassud, C., et al. "Air sparging in ultrafiltration hollow fibers: relationship between flux enhancement, cake characteristics and hydrodynamic parameters." Journal of Membrane Science 181.1 (2001): 57-69.
- Hinchee, Robert E., ed. Air sparging for site remediation. Vol. 2. CRC Press, 1994.
|This water supply–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|