Alex Majoli (born 1971, Ravenna, Italy) is an award-winning Italian photographer associated with Magnum Photos known for his documentation of war and conflict.
Majoli joined the f45 studio in Ravenna at age 15 where he worked with Daniele Casadio and then studied at the Art Institute in Ravenna, graduating in 1991. While there he joined the Grazia Neri Agency for whom he traveled to Yugoslavia, Kosovo, and Albania to document the conflict. In 1999 he went to Greece and documented the closing of an insane asylum on Leros and the reintroduction of the inmates to society. In 1995 he went to South America to work on his project Requiem in Samba and where he also worked on Hotel Marinum about port cities all over the world. In the late 1990s he also began making documentary films.
In 2001 he became a full member of Magnum Photos, at which time he also began documenting the Taliban in Afghanistan and Iraq. He has contributed to such publications as Newsweek, The New York Times Magazine, Granta, Vanity Fair and National Geographic. In 2004 he created an exhibition, Off Broadway, along with Thomas Dworzak, Paolo Pellegrin and Ilkka Uimonen, which was shown in SoHo.
He lives in New York City and Milan. He has worked with Leica Cameras and Olympus Cameras.
- 2002/04 Several citations at the Picture of the Year International Award
- 2004, Honorable Mention, Leica Oskar Barnack Award
- 2004, Feature Photography Award, the Overseas Press Club
- 2004, Magazine Photographer of the Year, Best of Journalism Contest, National Press Photographers Association
- 2003, Infinity Award for Photojournalism, the International Center of Photography
- 2002, Pesaresi Prize, Festival Foto
- 2006, Leros Palazzo Magnani, Reggio Emilia, Italy
- 2006, Mi manchi Magazino dello zolfo, Ravenna, Italy
- 2004, Leros, VeryTrolley Gallery, London, UK
- 2000, Leros, Ospedale Psichiatrico Paolo Pini, Milan, Italy
- 1999, Leros, Galleria Immagina, Venice, Italy
- 1999, Massacre, Radiosity Gallery, Milan, Italy
- 1998, Bambini, Palazzo Reale, Genova, Italy
- 1997, Slave, Casa do Olodum, Salvador da Bahia, Brazil
- 1988, Pensiamoci stanotte, La Galleria, Ravenna, Italy
External links