|Alexander Vladimirovich Shmidt|
|Born||August 15, 1911
Rechytsa, Belorussia, Russian Empire
|Died||May 5, 1987
|Education||Repin Institute of Arts|
|Known for||Painting, Graphics, Art teaching|
Alexander Vladimirovich Shmidt (Russian: Алекса́ндр Влади́мирович Шми́дт; August 15, 1911 in Rechytsa town, Belorussia, Russian Empire – May 5, 1987 in Leningrad, USSR) was a Russian-Soviet realist painter, graphic artist, and Art teacher who lived and worked in Leningrad. He was a member of the Leningrad Union of Artists, regarded as one of representatives of the Leningrad school of painting.
In the 1928, Alexander Shmidt entered at the first course of the painting department of the Leningrad's Vkhutemas (since 1932 known as Leningrad Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture). There he studied under Alexander Savinov, Vasily Savinsky, Arcady Rylov, and Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin. In 1933, Alexander Shmidt graduated from the Leningrad Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture as artist of easel painting.
Since 1941 Alexander Shmidt has participated in Art Exhibitions. He painted cityscapes, portraits, landscapes, still lifes, and genre paintings. His solo art works exhibitions were in Leningrad in years of 1962, 1973, 1983, and 1989.
Since 1955, Alexander Shmidt was a member of the Leningrad Union of Artists. In years of 1947-1949, Alexander Shmidt taught drawings and painting in the Leningrad's Higher School of Art and Industry (since 1953 named after Vera Mukhina).
In years of 1949-1971, Alexander Shmidt was a founder and a head of well-known Art Studio of the Wiborgsky Palace of Culture in Leningrad.
Alexander Shmidt was a most famous for his lyrical cityscapes of Leningrad. His painting style distinguished by soft lyrical interpretation of the image, semi-transparent watercolor painting in transfer of the lighting and air. The color of his works is restrained, based on the exquisite tones.
Alexander Vladimirovich Shmidt died on May 5, 1987 in Leningrad. His paintings reside in museums and private collections in Russia, Germane, France, England, the U.S., Italy, and others.
Naked model in front of mirror. 1952
Vyborgskaya embankment in Leningrad. 1968
Lilac in the sun. 1974
- Leningrad School of Painting
- List of 20th-century Russian painters
- List of painters of Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Directory of Members of the Union of Artists of USSR. Volume 2.- Moscow: Soviet artist, 1979. - p.598.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School.- Saint Petersburg: NP-Print Edition, 2007. – pp.9, 18, 27, 29, 77, 170, 373, 389-391, 393-399, 402-404, 414-419, 421, 422, 445.
- Anniversary Directory graduates of Saint Petersburg State Academic Institute of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture named after Ilya Repin, Russian Academy of Arts. 1915 - 2005. - Saint Petersburg: Pervotsvet Publishing House, 2007. p.42.
- Saint-Petersbourg - Pont-Audemer. Dessins, Gravures, Sculptures et Tableaux du XX siecle du fonds de L' Union des Artistes de Saint-Petersbourg. - Pont-Audemer: 1994. - p. 59.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. - Saint Petersburg: NP-Print Edition, 2007. – pp. 9, 18, 27, 29, 77, 170, 373, 389-391, 393-399, 402-404, 414-419, 421, 422, 445. ISBN 5-901724-21-6, ISBN 978-5-901724-21-7.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alexander Shmidt.|
- Alexander Shmidt on the "Unknown Socialist Realism. Quests and Discoveries".
- Sergei V. Ivanov. The Leningrad School of painting. Historical outline.
- Chronology of the Leningrad School of painting.