Algeria–Cyprus relations refer to the bilateral relations between Algeria and Cyprus. Algeria is represented in Cyprus through its embassy in Beirut, Lebanon. Cyprus is represented in Algeria through its embassy in Paris, France. Both countries are full members of the Union for the Mediterranean.
When presenting his credentials to Cyprus President Tassos Papadopoulos in January 2005, Algeria's Beirut-based Ambassador to Cyprus Ibrahim Benaouda Haci said that Algeria's President Abdelaziz Bouteflika confirmed his willingness to strengthen the relations between Algeria and Cyprus. In October 2006, the Ambassador of Cyprus, Minas Hadjimichael presented his credentials to the President of Algeria Mr Abdelaziz Bouteflika, thanked him for Algeria's support to Cyprus in the framework of the United Nations and the Non-Aligned Movement, and discussed ways to enhance bilateral ties. The President of Algeria said he was satisfied with the friendly relations between the two countries, but stressed that his country favored reunification of the Cyprus Republic. He also expressed his wish for enhancing bilateral cooperation.
Algeria has consistently supported reunification of Cyprus based on UN resolutions. In an April 2005 meeting with Turkish Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul in Algeria, President Bouteflika said he supports Turkey on the Cyprus problem, and considers that Turkey has done everything they could be expected to do to solve the Cyprus problem.
In September 2003 the Cypriot president and the heads of Algeria, Senegal, Kuwait met to discuss regional issues.
Agreements, trade and investment
Cyprus and Algeria have concluded various agreements. For example, in November 1997, Algeria and Cyprus agreed on a framework for maritime exchanges between the two countries, lifting obstacles on the free movement of ships and offering preferential treatment at the ports in both countries. In December 1999 Algeria and Cyprus signed an air transport agreement to introduce a legal framework governing air routes between Algeria and Cyprus. In July 2000, Algerian news agency APS signed a cooperation agreement with the Cypriot news agency that covers exchange of English news items and photographs.
In December 2001, the Algerian firm Sonatrach and Cyprus oil company Medex Petroleum signed an exploration deal covering the north of Bordj Omar Idriss in the Illizi basin in south-eastern Algeria.
Cyprus is considering Algeria as a potential partner to assist with extracting untapped oil and gas from the island's exclusive economic zone. Other partners being considered are Libya, Russian and Algeria – full details of the negotiations have not yet been released to the public domain.
- "Algeria wants to strengthen its relations with Cyprus". xak.com - Cyprus Stock exchange. Retrieved May 1, 2009.
- "Algeria reaffirms its support for a Cyprus solution based on UN resolutions". M2 Presswire. 2001-10-25. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Algerian president says he supports Turkey over Cyprus". Anatolia news agency, Ankara. 2005-04-11. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Algerian foreign minister meets Greek Cypriot counterpart". Algerian radio, Algiers. 1998-11-17. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Cypriot foreign minister leaves for Algeria". Cyprus radio. 1998-11-17. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS: Cyprus-Algeria to enhance bilateral co-operation". M2 COMMUNICATIONS. 1998-11-20. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Algerian Foreign Minister visits Cyprus". M2 Presswire. 2001-02-05. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Algerian foreign minister says ties with Cyprus "excellent"". CNA news agency, Nicosia. 2001-02-03. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Algeria: Foreign minister received by Cypriot acting president". Algerian TV, Algiers. 2001-02-03. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Republic of Cyprus: Presentation of Credentials". M2 PRESSWIRE. 2001-09-28. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Cypriot president, heads of Algeria, Senegal, Kuwait discuss regional issues.". Asia Africa Intelligence Wire. 2003-09-25. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Algeria signs maritime agreement with Cyprus". Algerian radio, Algiers. 1997-11-12. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Algeria, Cyprus sign air transport agreement". Algerian TV, Algiers. 1999-12-03. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Algeria/Cyprus: News agencies sign cooperation agreement". Algerian TV, Algiers. 2000-07-31. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Algeria Sign News Cooperation Agreement". Xinhua News Agency. 2000-07-28. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Algerian, Cyprus oil companies sign exploration deal". Algerian TV, Algiers. 2001-12-23. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Cyprus and Egypt keep LNG talks secret". FinancialMirror. April 9, 2009. Retrieved May 9, 2009.