Alice Rollit Coe
|Alice Rollit Coe|
Alice Sarah Rollit
September 20, 1858
Rawdon, Quebec, Canada
|Died||December 8, 1940 December 8, 1940
|Pen name||May B. Knott|
|Occupation||housewife, author, Writer|
|Citizenship||immigrated to U.S. in 1866; naturalized U.S. Citizen|
|Notable works||Lyrics of Fir and Foam (1908)
Chimes Rung by the University District Herald
|Spouse||Alfred Byron Coe (m. 1889ׂ)|
|Children||Charles Rollit Coe, Winnifred Elizabeth Coe, Algernon Sydney Coe, Constance Mary Coe|
|Relatives||John Charles Rollit (father), Elizabeth Spooner Rollit (mother)|
Alice Rollit Coe (1858–1940) was a Canadian emigrant to the United States, Seattle housewife and author. She wrote Lyrics of Fir and Foam (1908) and Chimes Rung by the University District Herald (1921).
She was born Alice Sarah Rollit in Rawdon, Quebec, Canada on September 20, 1858 to John Charles Rollit and Elizabeth (née Spooner) Rollit. Her father was an Episcopal Minister, who moved his family to the United States and was living in Minneapolis with them in 1880. She had at least two sisters growing up.
She married Alfred Byron Coe on November 14, 1889 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and had four children with him: Charles Rollit Coe (born 1890), Winnifred Elizabeth Coe (born 1892), Algernon Sydney Coe (born 1894), and Constance Mary Coe (born 1901). In the 1920 census in Seattle she was listed as being a teacher. In the 1930 census in Seattle she was a private tutor.
She died in Seattle, Washington on December 8, 1940.
- Lyrics of Fir and Foam, Etchings by L. Ross Carpenter, The Alice Harriman Company, Publishers, Seattle, 1908
- Chimes Rung by the University District Herald, Press of University Publishing Company, Seattle, 1921
Poems in magazines and anthologies
- Ancestry.com page, 1900 United States Federal Census; location, Seattle, Ward 9, District 119, King County, Washington; roll T623 1745; page 8B; lines 68-72; enumdist 119
- Ancestry.com page, 1910 United States Federal Census; location, Seattle, Ward 10, King County, Washington; roll T624_1661; page 10B; lines 81-86; enumdist 0181; Image 756; Family History Library number 1375674
- Ancestry.com page, 1920 United States Federal Census; location, Seattle, Precinct 8, King County, Washington; roll T625_1925; page 11a; lines 35-37; enumdist 72; Image 750
- Ancestry.com page, 1930 United States Federal Census; location, Seattle, Block 151, King County, Washington; roll 2492; page 20a; lines 38 & 39; Image 910.0; Family History Library Film 2342226.
- Canadian poetry
- "The Online Books Page". Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- 1910 United States Federal Census, 1910; Seattle, Ward 10, District 0181, King County, Washington; roll T624_1661, page 10B, line 81 , enumeration district 0181 , Family History film 1375674 . Retrieved on 2012-02-19.
- Ancestry.com One World Tree. "Personal Information". Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- 1880 United States Federal Census, 1880; Lexington, Fayette, Kentucky; roll 621, page 77A, line 48 , enumeration district 231 , Family History film 1254621 . Retrieved on 2012-02-19.