|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
A Blue Ameraucana cock
|Country of origin||USA|
|Weight||Male: Standard: 6.5 lb (3 kg)
Bantam: 30 oz (850 g)
|Female: Standard: 5.5 lb (2.5 kg)
Bantam: 26 oz (740 g)
|Egg color||Blue in various shades|
|APA||All other standard breeds|
|ABA||All other comb clean legged|
Gallus gallus domesticus
The Ameraucana is an American breed of domestic chicken developed in the United States in the 1970s. It was derived from the Araucana breed of Chile, and was bred to maintain the blue egg color of that breed while eliminating the lethal recessive gene. There is also an Ameraucana bantam variety.
The Ameraucana was bred in the 1970s in the United States, from chickens imported from Chile. A breeder's club, now called the Ameraucana Breeders Club, was formed in 1976. Both the full-sized bird and the bantam were added to the Standard of Perfection of the American Poultry Association in 1984. Eight colors are recognized for each: Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten and White.
The Ameraucana is one of the few chicken breeds to lay blue eggs; another is the Cream Legbar, which also has Araucana influence. The Ameraucana shows many similarities to the Araucana, including the pea comb and the blue egg gene. The Araucana has earmuffs and is rumpless; the Ameraucana has a tail and is muffed and bearded. The earlobes are small and round, the wattles small or absent; earlobes, comb and wattles are all red. The shanks are slate-blue, tending to black in the Black variety.
- Carol Ekarius (2007). Storeys Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds. North Adams, MA: Storey Publishing. ISBN 9781580176682. p. 38–39.
- Breed Classification. Poultry Club of Great Britain. Accessed August 2014.
- Victoria Roberts (2008). British poultry standards: complete specifications and judging points of all standardized breeds and varieties of poultry as compiled by the specialist breed clubs and recognised by the Poultry Club of Great Britain. Oxford: Blackwell. ISBN 9781405156424.
- Gail Damerow (1 March 2012). The Chicken Encyclopedia: An Illustrated Reference. Storey Publishing, LLC. p. 11. ISBN 978-1-60342-776-0. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Richard A. Orr (1998). A History of the Ameraucana Breed and the Ameraucana Breeders Club. Ameraucana Breeders Club. Accessed August 2014.
- APA Recognized Breeds and Varieties As of January 1, 2012. American Poultry Association. Accessed August 2014.
- John W. Blehm (2007). Ameraucanas. Backyard Poultry June/July, 2007. Accessed August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ameraucana.|