André Bormanis at Deepcon 11 in 2010
|Born||February 13, 1959|
|Occupation||Science advisor and screenwriter|
|Alma mater||University of Arizona
George Washington University
Andre Bormanis is an American television producer, screenwriter and author of the book Star Trek: Science Logs. Bormanis is most notable for his involvement in the long-running Star Trek franchise, and was the science consultant on Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise. He also wrote several episodes of the Voyager and Enterprise series, as well as acting as science/technical advisor on the Next Generation films.
He was also involved in the writing of the short-lived CBS science fiction drama Threshold; a producer and writer of the short-lived CBS drama series Eleventh Hour; a writer for Tron: Uprising; and a science consultant for Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey.
Television and film career
Bormanis became the science consultant for Star Trek: The Next Generation and went on to work in that capacity for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager. In his role he acted as an advisor for the screenwriters, in order to ensure that the correct scientific principles are included in the episodes. Whilst working on Voyager, he co-wrote the episode "Nightingale". He also co-wrote several episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise, starting with "Silent Enemy". He has since written the book Star Trek: Science Logs. He has also been the sole writer on episodes such as "The Communicator". He was replaced by Carolyn Porco in his role of scientific advisor for the J.J. Abrams directed Star Trek (2009).
Bormanis received a degree in physics from the University of Arizona in 1981. In 1994, following a NASA Space Grant Fellowship, he gained a Master's degree in science, technology and public policy from George Washington University. In addition to his television work, he has worked as a consultant to the San Juan Institute and the Planetary Society in Pasadena, California.
- "Bormanis, Andre". Star Trek.com. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Interviews | Andre Bormanis | What Do You Do, Then?". BBC Cult. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Nogueira, Salvador (November 12, 2002). "Andre Bormanis". TrekNation. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Bormanis, Andre (March 9, 2008). "Editorial: The Next Space Frontier". Trekmovie.com. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Star Trek Science Consultant / Producer Andre Bormanis Speaks to SebRT.com". Seb's Web Archive. May 1, 2007. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Andre Bormanis". Sky by Night Productions. Retrieved December 1, 2013.