|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
Andreas Münzer (October 25, 1964 – March 14, 1996) was an Austrian professional bodybuilder renowned for his extremely low bodyfat levels and early death. Münzer appeared in Flex twice and Muscle Magazine International once.
After months of stomach pain, Münzer was admitted to hospital on the morning of March 12. By 7pm, doctors had decided to operate to stop bleeding from his stomach, but shortly afterwards his liver and then kidneys failed. His condition by this point was too severe for a blood transfusion—he died on the morning of March 14, aged 31.
- An extremely muscular physique, with an almost complete absence of subcutaneous fat
- Affecting the liver were numerous table-tennis-ball-sized tumors; half the liver consisted simply of a crumbly mass, similar to polystyrene (Styrofoam)
- Diminutive testes
- Cardiac hypertrophy (Münzer's heart weighed 636g; a normal man's heart usually weighs 300–350g)
Münzer's electrolytes were also completely out of balance, and his potassium levels were extremely high. Traces of about twenty different drugs were found, along with acute toxicity (perhaps caused by a stimulant).
Schwarzenegger sent a wreath to Münzer's funeral in Syria, with the message 'A last greeting to a friend.'
- Weight: 238 lbs (108 kg)
- Arms: 21 inch (53 cm)
- Chest: 58 inch (147 cm)
- 1986 European Amateur Championships MiddleWeight, 6th
- 1987 World Amateur Championships Light-HeavyWeight, 3rd
- 1988 World Amateur Championships Light-HeavyWeight, 3rd
- 1989 Mr. Olympia 13th
- 1989 World Games HeavyWeight, 1st
- 1990 Arnold Classic 3rd
- 1990 Grand Prix Germany 3rd
- 1990 Mr. Olympia 9th
- 1991 Arnold Classic 9th
- 1991 Ironman Pro Invitational 3rd
- 1991 Mr. Olympia Did not place
- 1991 Pittsburgh Pro Invitational 4th
- 1993 Arnold Classic 7th
- 1993 Grand Prix Germany (2) 2nd
- 1993 Grand Prix Germany 4th
- 1993 Night of Champions 2nd
- 1993 Mr. Olympia 9th
- 1994 Arnold Classic 5th
- 1994 Grand Prix France 8th
- 1994 Grand Prix Germany (2) 5th
- 1994 Mr. Olympia 9th
- 1995 Arnold Classic 4th
- 1996 Arnold Classic 6th
- 1996 San Jose Pro Invitational 7th
- Hotten, Jon (October 31, 2004). "Dying to be Arnie". The Observer. Retrieved September 19, 2004.
- Hotten, Jon (2005). Muscle: A Writer's Trip Through a Sport with No Boundaries (New ed.). London: Yellow Jersey Press. ISBN 978-0-224-06967-0.
- Kistler, Luitpold (2006). Todesfälle bei Anabolikamissbrauch - Todesursache, Befunde und rechtsmedizinische Aspekte [Deaths from Anabolic-Steroid Abuse: Cause of Death, Findings and Forensic Aspects (PhD dissertation)] (pdf) (in German). Germany: Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. p. 101. Retrieved 19 September 2010.
- Münzer's competition history
- Video of Münzer on YouTube posing at the 1993 Mr Olympia competition; includes a brief interview
- Andreas Münzer Gallery